Suit Yourself Saturday

My scripture today: Luke 14:11 "For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

This is my new fashion statement. Beautiful, isn't it?


Nearly three months ago I hit my coffee table with my pinky toe.  It was the evening of my first 3-mile run in a long time.  I was so excited that I could actually run 3 miles, and had already planned out the next week's running plan.

The week after I hit my toe I ran 3 miles 3 different days.  Yes, my toe was swollen and hurt. Yes, my foot was black and blue.  Yes, my mother-in-law told me to tape it and I didn't.  Yes, I was proud.  I wanted to run and wasn't going to let a stupid pinky toe stop me.

Long story short- 11 weeks later and the podiatrist (that I finally went to see) tells me my toe has a fracture AND so does my foot!

He figures that toe fracture happened when I hit my toe the first night.  The foot fracture probably came when I ran on it.  Ouch.

So, now I am in this boot for at least 5 more weeks.

The sad thing is that it's not the boot that bothers me as much as it is the fact the other's were right and I didn't listen because of my pride.  If I would have listened to my mother-in-law when she said to tape it and not run, I probably would have felt better by now.

This boot is a constant reminder that I should have humbled myself and listened.  I should have acknowledged my mortality rather than thinking I was tough and could work through it.  The bottom line was that I was prideful.

I guess the lesson learned for me is: Pride cometh before the boot.

But, shhhh, don't tell her I said all this.  Look- I admitted the problem to you.  I'll tell her when I am ready. Baby steps  :)

What scripture or quote would you like to share today.








Comments

  1. Hope your toe and foot feel better soon. :)
    I work with the Primary kids at church, and was looking ahead to see what our scripture for November is.
    Matthew 22:37 - "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." What a great scripture that is, and a wonderful thing for the children to learn about. If everyone in the world did this, what a peaceful place it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my "quote" is more out of frustration this weekend than overt spirituality.

    From the talk by L Tom Perry - The Need to Teach Personal and Family Preparedness. President Marion G Romney has said so often: "No self-respecting Church member will Voluntarily shift the responsibility for his own maintenance to another. Furthermore, a man not only has the responsibility to care for himself; he also has the responsibility to care for his family." (Basics of Church Welfare, address to the Priesthood Board, 6 Mar. 1974)

    Had someone say to me the other day - when I was up to my eyeballs in grape juice and onions.... Oh... I will just come to your house if something happens. What this sister doesn't understand is that I am putting up things for my family. I cannot support her family too. We live off our food storage because it is part of of our life. It's all in the rotation plan.

    And on the flip side of that... my son and I have made a deal. He provides his jars and buys the produce or meat or whatever. I can it. But I get to keep half. He doesn't have the time or equipment to devote to canning right now. But he has the funds. I was really grateful that he has caught the preparedness bug and is doing what he can to make it happen with the resources he has. It's wonderful when one of our children catch the spirit of a gospel principle and jump right in to live it to the best of their ability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach primary, too. I just love it! (Though I miss the grownups, too) Yes, the world would surely be a wonderful place. I imagine that's what heaven will be like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soooooo, where am I supposed to go now when Mt. Rainier blows?

    Jk :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that would be one of those "biggies" that no amount of food storage is going to overcome. =0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts