Ether 14

Ether 14

I read this chapter and am filled with sadness. We hear a lot that we have become desensitized to violence because of video games, movies and television, but how often do we read of the wars and deaths in the scriptures in just a quick scan to get our reading in, without ever really thinking about it?

In this chapter thousands of people are murdered.  Women and children are killed then left for the animals to feed on.  I had to sit and really visualize (not a fun task) what that must have been like for them: the terror of seeing Shiz and his blood-thirsty army coming, knowing I couldn't protect my little ones, dying a painful death by the sword or other sharp instrument.  How terrifying.

And then, my mind wanders beyond their terrible deaths to the terrible awakening on the other side.  The moment they realize the life they could have led if they had but followed the Lord.  The blessings they could have had; the prosperity and the joy that could have accompanied their mortal lives, if they would have been a covenant people.  That pain from regret must supersede any physical pain they had in mortality.

Guilt and regret eats at the soul.  That is what hell must really be like.

I know that is what Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father want for me- so much so that they have given me everything (not most things- but everything) I need to accomplish it: The Savior's Atonement, Knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, His organized Church, the Priesthood to act in His name, Prophets, Scriptures, personal revelation, the Holy Ghost and so on.

The only way I can fail is the same as those who went before me: break the covenants I have made; let greed, selfishness and pride take priority over selflessness, humility and obedience; turn my back to the Lord.

This chapter motivates me to make changes in my life that would expel guilt and regret; to strengthen my commitment to follow the Lord, to partake in and be grateful for, all of His blessings; to live my life to its fullest, in obedience and joy; to have no guilt; to have no regret.

I know I won't be perfect, and it will be a challenge, but I also know that I am not in it alone, and that through the power of the Atonement I can achieve the righteous desires of my heart.

It is a sad way to come to such a meaningful commitment in my life. But, that is the power of scripture.  We learn from them: the good and the bad.  How grateful I am for the scriptures!


What part of today's chapter got into you?

WEDNESDAY: Ether 15

By the way- for those of you who subscribe by email I just realized you are a day behind- Feed burner doesn't send out the day's emails until midnight.  I tried to readjust it, but there isn't a way.  Sorry.  If you don't mind being a day behind, then great!  But, if it bothers you, then you could just bookmark the blog and check it every morning instead. 

Comments

  1. When reading this chapter one thought came to my mind.... Are you ready?

    Followed up by.... are you prepared to fight for your family? Are you prepared to stand against the evils of the world? Are you willing to keep you hand on your sword to protect the ones you love? The things God has blessed you with? Are you ready as a mother in Zion to stay home and be the buffer between Satan's army and your family?

    Do you have what you need both spiritually and temporally because if it could happen in the BOM it could happen today. God is the same today, yesterday and forever.... but so is Satan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts