3 Nephi 11

3 Nephi 11

A few things that caught my eye in this chapter:

1. It was the people who were at the temple that were blessed to see the Savior first. When we go to the temple we bring ourselves closer to the temple. For them, it was a very literal and real 'closer.'

2. V 5- 'and they did open their ears to hear it.'  How many times has Heavenly Father spoken to me that I didn't hear. Not because of Him, but because of my inability, or unwillingness, to hear?  I need to open my ears to what He has to say to me more.

3. We only have a handful of recorded times where Heavenly Father Himself speaks directly to His children- and most of those is introducing the Savior.  Here is another time where He speaks. He is pleased with His Son, and commands them to hear Him.  Now that their ears were opened, they could.

4. How kind it was for the Savior to allow the people to touch Him so that they could know He was the God of Israel.  Most of the time we are required to live by faith, but we are also given opportunities to increase our knowledge.  Granted- for most of us it won't be this tangible, but we can receive knowledge by the Spirit and it can be just as real and testimony building.

5. The Saviors first words were testifying of Prophets (remember, these people were spared because they didn't kill or harm the prophets, so there was already a level of respect), the Atonement and Heavenly Father.

6. The first order of business He conducted (after introductions) was bestowing the Priesthood so that Nephi and others He chose could baptize.

7. The first thing He taught was the proper way to baptize.  There is great significance in that.The people already had faith, and they had repented.  Baptism comes next.  But- it must be done with the proper authority and in the correct way.  It is THAT important. It it the gate by which all other ordinances are obtained.  Once that was established, the Savior could move onto other things.

8. Vs 27 speaks of how the Savior, the Father and the Holy Ghost are one. They are not the same being, but they are one in purpose and action. Much like a choir.  There are baritones, alto, soprano- each singing different parts to create beautiful music- together they make ONE choir.

9. Ah, verse 29- contention is of the devil!  Does that mean all contention? Like when I get frustrated with my kids?  I'm afraid so.  I need to protect my heart from the influences of the adversary in that regard.  I am not tempted to sin in other ways: I don't struggle with robbing banks, murdering, lying, etc.  But, I am impatient, and that often leads to being short with my kids.  I need to master the art of raising my children with firm consistency, not frustration.

10. I  love verse 32: the Godhead supports one another. I think that is very touching.

11. The Savior is very clear about His doctrine (vv 31-39)  Repent and be baptized and be humble, like a child. If you don't, you cannot inherit the kingdom of God.  That is His whole purpose, the entirety of the Atonement, to provide us the opportunity to be saved. And it hinges upon OUR choice to follow Him.


The Savior loves us- He love me.  This chapter, to me, really makes clear His love for us, but also His priorities and His purpose.  He wants us to know Him, Heavenly Father and the Holly Ghost. He wants us to be humble, repent and be baptized. He wants us to inherit all the is prepared for us. He shows us the way.

And it is up to us to follow Him. The ball is on our court. What are we going to do with it?



Comments

  1. I don't have a lot to say about the chapter, but I can say that I am so grateful for the knowledge of the plan of salvation. We are blessed to have a loving Father in Heaven who gives his children every chance He can to come back to live with him. Sometimes the losses in life are so great that people don't know how to go on, but it is such a comfort to have a testimony and know this life is not the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so don't faint.... I am actually caught up on my reading and I'm even commenting-- I loved this chapter. Verse 3 stood out to me where it said that Jesus Christ's voice "was a small voice...... it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn." So it wasn't loud, the conviction came from within their souls. I also liked verse 39 where it talks about building your foundation on a rock. It reminds me of some scriptures in the New Testament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I am SO glad I was sitting down when I read saw your comment! I almost did faint!

      Just kidding!

      I'm so glad you are reading along, and even more glad to see your comment! I like how you said, "the conviction came from within their souls." That was a beautiful insight. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  3. Michelle - I really loved your little comparison of the Godhead to a Choir there. That was very cool. I LOVE this chapter! I am sure you have all watched the movie that shows Christ appearing to the Nephites. LOVE that too!

    When Father in Heaven introduces Jesus Christ to the people in verse 7 - it is very similar to the way that he introduced him to Joseph Smith. I hadn't noticed that before. Bet Joseph Smith thought that was cool when he translated that bit.

    I couldn't help but think of my son during the last half of the chapter. He will be getting baptised in March next year. I think I am going to cry when it happens. I cried when he was blessed as a baby. Baptism is such a wonderful step for them to take in their progression back to Heavenly Father. Hopefully the first of many steps that he will take in making important covenants.

    Wonderful chapter! Can't wait to read the next 14!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo! Hi there! I love your thoughts about Joseph Smith. I had never considered what it was like for him to translate that part and have it be so similar. Thanks for sharing!

      How exciting about your son. My youngest was baptized last year- such a fun and special day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts