1 Nephi 3

Chapter 3

Lehi’s sons return to Jerusalem to obtain the plates of brass—Laban refuses to give the plates up—Nephi exhorts and encourages his brethren—Laban steals their property and attempts to slay them—Laman and Lemuel smite Nephi and Sam and are reproved by an angel. About 600–592 B.C.

---------------------------------------------------

Verse 7 is a scripture mastery verse that I've had memorized since 1980something when I was in seminary. But, today as I read it I looked at it in a different light. I have looked at it in the light of callings.

It was a surprise to me, as I became an adult in the church, that some people say not to callings that their bishopric extends to them.  I am sure they all have their reasons- but a common one is that they just don't want to or think they can do it.

Both of these concerns are met in this chapter.  V 5 Lehi makes it clear that he isn't asking his brothers to do this hard thing- the Lord is.   And in v 7 we learn that even when things are difficult, the Lord will always provide a way for us to accomplish them.

I try to keep that in mind when I am extended a calling- officially or unofficially (visiting teaching, motherhood,etc) that these are things that the Lord has asked me to do, not my bishop, the primary or Relief Society president, etc.  If I have faith in the origin of my calling, then I must have faith that I can accomplish what He has asked.

I don't like Laman and Lemuel. They are everything I don't want to be: wicked, prideful, materialistic, complainers, lazy and terribly dense.
The thing that always boggles my mind is how Laman and Lemuel could murmur after they had seen an angel???  How could they lay hands on Nephi ever again? How could they doubt that they would get the plates after that?

I know it's easy sometimes to forget a spiritual experience after a while, but to disregard an angel?  I just don't get it.

On the other hand, what a wonderful story of angelic deliverance for Sam and Nephi!

What did you learn/think today? Please share!

Comments

  1. Maybe my brain is adled from all the canning I am still doing but the thing that stuck out to me about this chapter was that the Lord told Lehi to get out of town or be destroyed. Lehi didn't waver. He didn't justify or rationalize the commandment, he left. The family took the basics... clothes, food, etc. The Lord sent them back for the one thing that was really important... family history. They didn't get sent back for their gold, jewelry, or wordly treasure.
    How much time is spent worrying about our "wordly" treasure? Yes, we need to clean and maintain things and be good stewards over our blessings. But how often are we commanded to do something in our own dreams and personal revelations- and we dawdle or rationalize?
    This type of obedience is something I have been actively working on for some time. It's not easy, but so far, the rewards have been worth it. Now I have to build up to the level faith of being able to leave everything behind and get out of town. Not that I want that challenge... Just have the level of faith to do it if I were told to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a reference in verse 19, about the record they went back to get, in Mosiah 1:3 where King Benjamin is teaching his sons and he says "...were it not for these plates, which contain these records and these commandments, we must have suffered in ignorance, even at this present time, not knowing the mysteries of God."
    I am grateful they went back to get the plates, for if those in the Book of Mormon had not had them and were ignorant of the mysteries of God, we would not have this wonderful and inspiring book to read, and would also be ignorant. Its like a chain reaction. So we need to keep it going, and make sure we read the book with our families so that they aren't ignorant either. It truly is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Sunday School today we talked about the Holy Ghost and how that is a more powerful witness then seeing things with our own eyes. Even though Laman and Lemuel were given the opportunity to see an angel and witness with there eyes, they must not have truly felt the Holy Ghost witness to them deeply enough. There hearts were not open enough to receive a full witness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me think of all the things I do as a mother now that don't seem to have much impact. I hope and pray they will in the future! So glad you are joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the point you made! Their hearts were hardened. It's so sad! That was one of the things I wanted to talk about today in my lesson- but I had to cut out so much stuff to make it fit before 2. i'm so excited you are going to read with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great point Marianne. I have asked Aaron before how people go inactive after they have had so many spiritual experiences in their life. I don't get it but I guess that's why we have to constantly work at things...study, pray, ponder, & follow the prompting of the Holy Ghost. Our hearts have to remain open to feeling that witness often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts