1 Nephi 1

One thing I want to mention for clarity- the God of the Old Testament is Jehovah- which we know is Jesus Christ.  Many times in the Book of Mormon the God they are talking about is actually Jesus Christ.  The often call Him Lord, among other names.  There are other times, however, that they are speaking of God the Father. Most of those times are made clear, for they are speaking of both God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, or it is the Savior Himself talking about Heavenly Father.  For my purposes, when I speak or write of God I am talking about Heavenly Father.  When I speak of the Lord, it refers to Jesus Christ. Sometimes, as in this chapter and in occasion future chapters, I use both, because it is applicable to both.
Chapter 1



Lehi Prophesying to the People of JerusalemLehi preaching to the wicked people of Jerusalem


My thoughts today

I found it very interesting that some very important principles are made clear in the first chapter of the Book of Mormon:
1. Even those the Lord favors experience affliction
2. The record which we read is authentic
3. Prophets are called of God, and converse with Him and speak for Him.
4. The Lord communicates to us in different ways, according to our needs.
5. The Spirit plays an integral role in our communication with the Lord.
6. God knows all, past, present and future.
7. God speaks to His people through prophets.
8. God is tenderly merciful to the faithful.
9. God chooses the faithful to do His work, and protects them, even unto deliverance
10. The Lord is aware of us- that means you and me.

What a great way to start our study together!


Let me know what you thought or learned today in the comments below.  
I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

  1. Today, the last verse is really catching my attention, those tender mercies of the Lord and deliverance. Lehi and his family are delivered from the angry crowd and from the destruction of Jerusalem. Just pondering what the Lord delivers me from and his tender mercies to me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read, always have. Wish I had more time for it! While I was reading this chapter I thought about our bookshelves. I have wonderful classic novels... Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Tom Sawyer, Call of the Wild and so many more.... I also have those novels in "kid" version. They tell the story in a basic form and in a simplier language. Abridged.

    Just like Nephi abridged his father's records/story. We see it SO many times throughout the Book of Mormon. I thought how great it would be to have an opportunity to read the "whole" book and get to see the fullness of those things we currently have the "kid" version of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading Lehi's vision of heaven. I am very fascinated with what it is like on the other side and love reading the descriptions given in the scriptures. Especially loved part of verse 14 - "Great and marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens, and thy power and goodness and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts