Free For All Friday- Hebrews 11

My Free For All Friday scripture is a whole chapter- Hebrews 11

Faith is the first principle of the gospel.  In verse 1 Paul describes it thus: "Now, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."  The rest of the chapter talks about the faith of those who had gone before him: Noah, Abraham, Sara, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, and so on.

Some look at faith, believing in something you can't see, as a crutch for the weak. It is just the opposite.  It takes great courage to believe without seeing. It takes courage to deny yourself of ungodliness, pleasure and selfishness.  It takes courage to be different from the world.

But, faith has it's rewards: Blessings, the Spirit, eternal family, the power of the Atonement as so on.

Faith is power, power to believe in the truth, power to live the truth and power to become like God.

On Fridays you don't have to comment on my scriputre, unless you'd like to.  I really want to hear what your favorite scriptures are.  I hope you take a moment to share one.

TOMORROW: Alma 55

Comments

  1. I am always tickled when I find something in the scriptures that says the same thing as some of those catch phrases in society. It's interesting how so many different people and religions are all speaking the same language just using different terms to do it.

    In Alma 41 (yes, we just started two days after this) Vs 14-15 it basicaly defines "Karma." It even fits the bill for many other religions and their "key" terms whatever those may be.

    "For that which ye do send out shall return unto you again.... " reward. mercy. justice. good.

    I had a mildly upsetting thing happen yesterday and another person got all wound up and wanted to say mean things and encouraged me to do the same. All I could reply was that some day the person who did the wrong would have their reward and it would profit me nothing by getting up in arms and being unkind.

    It's taken me a long time to get to this point. Had to make it through some extremely heart breaking trials to learn the lesson. But now when I want to react, I think of this scripture. It helps me take a breath and remember - we ALL get OUR reward. We just get to choose it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts