Alma 45

Alma 45

There are a few things in this chapter that I found interesting.  The first is that even after experiencing the horrors of war, the Nephites rejoiced and praised God.  How easy would it have been for them to be bitter or complain?

Then, in verses 2-7 Alma the Younger has essentially a Priesthood interview with his son, Helaman.  Even though he knew his son well, in order to qualify him for the blessing he was about to receive (a prophecy of the demise of their people) he had to have been found worthy.  Here Alma was not only acting as a father, but also as Helaman's Priesthood leader.  There is order in God's church, even among family members.

How sad it must have been for Alma and Helaman to see the wickedness and inevitable destruction of their people.  Nevertheless, they did not let that knowledge keep them from fighting for what is right.

In this chapter we learn, once again, that there are penalties for wickedness, and blessings for righteousness.  The Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance.

It is also interesting to me how quickly the Nephites were lifted up in pride and began to rebel (vs 24) soon after the church was again established by Helaman and his brethren.  It was their riches and prosperity that gave them a false sense of value and entitlement.  I see that a lot in the world today. As a parent, I am always reminding my children where they value comes from, and where their faith and gratitude should go.

It's amazing how simple it is.  Humility = righteousness.  Pride = wickedness.

What did you get out of it today?

TOMORROW: Sunday Rest.  I won't be  posting on Sunday's.  It'll give you a chance to catch up if you feel behind :)

MONDAY: Alma 46

Comments

  1. I was also touched by the Nephites' attitude of rejoicing with fasting and prayer. It made me think of the most recent tragedies due to flooding and tornadoes, etc and how after it's over, the people involved are so very grateful just to have survived and still be with their families. Also how Helaman was told to write down the prophecies of his father. How quickly we could stray from the truth without our written records or scriptures to return to. Thank you so much for your scripture blog! I look forward to your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy- Thanks so much for your perspective! I love it! I was talking to a friend today who said her favorite word was "hope." I think that is what I get from your comments. I hope you come by and comment often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Along the same line of the previous comments, I was also impressed with their attitude of gratitude. They fasted and prayed much. Sometimes I think we forget that fasting (maybe not so much that we forget about using prayer, but fasting) can and should be used to give thanks and express our joy. I think we reserve it for our desires and needs, and forget about this great lesson :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts