1 Nephi 8



Chapter 8

Lehi sees a vision of the tree of life—He partakes of its fruit and desires his family to do likewise—He sees a rod of iron, a strait and narrow path, and the mists of darkness that enshroud men—Sariah, Nephi, and Sam partake of the fruit, but Laman and Lemuel refuse. About 600–592 B.C.


------------------------------

I have a feeling I'm going to be saying this a lot- but there is so much in this chapter that I could write about!  It's full of love, peer pressure, parenting, agency, the gospel and so forth.

So, I'm going to pick out the few things that stood out the most for me today:

1. Vs. 9- Lehi didn't see the large and spacious field until AFTER he prayed.  I wonder if he had prayed hours before if he would have seen it.  It reminds me that there are things that God is just waiting to give me, if I but ask.

2.Vs 15- when he called to his family he did it in a loud voice; not soft, not calm- but loud.  He really wanted them to feel and taste what he was.  This makes me think of the energy level with which I serve, love, and teach.  Do I do it with feeling, so they know that I want them to have what I have (love of God and testimony)? Or am I timid in sharing what i feel and know?

3. Vs 26- the Great and Spacious building has no foundation, just like the beliefs and values of the world.

4. And finally, click on this link to go to an article in October 2011 Ensign by Elder Bednar about Lehi's dream.  He speaks of the different ways the people held on to the rod.  It's very interesting and a great read.

What did you think/learn today?

Comments

  1. The word "press" is used often in todays chapter. Curious, I looked up the word in my thesaurus. Very interesting! There were 9 words offered as synonyms, I really liked "embrace" and "urge".

    I can work on "embraceing" more fully the gospel of Jesus Christ. That will be a lifetime effort:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind is a little scattered apparently, because when I read this a quote came to mind.... Stand for something or you'll fall for anything. Substitute "cling to the rod or fall for anything." Anything= mist or spacious building.

    It's hard to be standing back and seeing the spacious building and the mists of darkness in other people's lives and not be able to help! It's heartbreaking to remind them to grab the iron rod and hold on for dear life and they look at you and say it won't work. It does work. It will work. You just have to keep holding on and moving forward no matter what is swirling around you.

    Maybe the older I get the more I realize there are really very few priorities with meaning. But I do know that sitting under the protection of that tree and eating is definitiely at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verse 12 is the verse that especially stood out to me. I love the symbolism of the blessings of the atonement being the fruit of the tree of life. I am reading and studying this chapter on a flight returning from a week in Hawaii. The fruit there is so amazing and plentiful, which is why I think this verse stood out to me. It is easy for me to relate the sweetness of fruit to the sweetness of the atonement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favourite chapters, I love the Tree of Life vision. Love the description in verse 12 "as I partook of the fruit it filled my soul with exceeding great joy." Do we feel exceeding great joy as we partake in the many good things the gospel has to offer?

    Also verse 37 touched me, when Lehi is talking about Laman and Lemuel, "And he did exhort them then with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken to his words." My heart goes out to Lehi, and to all parents who go through this difficult challenge of wayward children. Keep being a good example to them, keep loving them, and never give up. There is always hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hawaii! I am jealous! Thank you for thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts