1 Nephi 22

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!


Chapter 22

Israel will be scattered upon all the face of the earth—The Gentiles will nurse and nourish Israel with the gospel in the last days—Israel will be gathered and saved, and the wicked will burn as stubble—The kingdom of the devil will be destroyed, and Satan will be bound. About 588–570 B.C.

---------------------

OK- this is why I totally love Nephi.  His brothers don't get it (me either) so they come and ask what the heck Isaiah is talking about.

Nephi responds with what sounds almost Spock-ish (logically speaking) with a 'well, it appears that...' and goes on to explain the last two chapters in simple terms that they (and I) get. Love him! (reminds me of my dad, too <3 )

(Wait- does that make me on the same level as Laman and Lemuel.  No- it's OK, because I'm sure Sam was asking, too.  I like Sam and I don't mind being like him.  He wasn't a great leader, but he sure had faith.)

Anyway- I love Nephi's explanation and commentary on Isaiah.  As I reread chapters 20 and 21 in hand with Nephi's explanations in this chapter it makes a lot more sense.

I love verse 17 where Nephi says the righteous will be preserved.  I think about that a lot these days.  The world seems to be destabilizing beneath or feet.  It is a scary feeling.  But, then again, I remind myself that I know the Rock upon which my faith is built- and it is eternally firm. If I stand in holy places I will not falter.

I know that I will be preserved eternally, come what may here.

I have a Savior and I need not fear (verse 22.)

I love the prophecies of the latter days.  It's an exciting time and I love being a part of it!

I love being part of the gathering of the four corners (even if it is just my own little corner.)  It makes me feel connected to Isaiah, and to Nephi, because they both prophesied about me.

Nephi ends the chapter humbly by reminding his brothers that it's not just he and Lehi that have prophesied (I always wanted to know more about Nephi's transition from obedient son to prophet in his own right.)  But he points the attention away from himself back to the scriptures.

Then he ends with a promise- even to Laman and Lemuel, telling them that if they are obedient and endure to the end, they, too, can be saved.

And thus it is.

What did you think/learn today?


Comments

  1. I sit and wonder how righteous is righteous enough to be on the saving side of the fight. Is recognizing the Lords hand in your life enough? Is keeping the big 10 enough? Is reading scriptures enough? Geneology. Temple work. Be a missionary. Do your calling. Food storage. Clean the church. Serve others. Somedays it seems like there are soooo many requirements.
    Nephi doesn't say exactly.... He just says to follow the Lord and keep the commandments. That leaves a lot of room for us to keep going forward each day at the pace we can do individually. I have to keep reminding myself to move forward and Christ has already made up the difference. And hopefully- that will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like verse 26, "And because of the righteousness of his people, Satan has no power, wherefore he cannot be loosed for the space of many years for he hath no power over the hearts of the people, for they dwell in righteouness and the Holy One of Israel reigneth." Looking forward to that day!

    Was just reminded of the words of a hymn this morning - "The Lord is my light, then why should I fear? By day and by night his presence is near. He is my joy and my song. By day and by night he leads me along."

    Wow! Starting 2nd Nephi tomorrow! That went fast. Am enjoying my readings. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts