Helaman 8

Helaman 8

These Nephites had scriptures containing the prophecies of their fathers of Jesus Christ.  They had also had other "evidences" (24) of the truth, and yet they deny it.  My dad gave a wonderful talk about testimonies on Sunday at church. I paraphrase the definition of a testimony which he gave: A testimony is the the sum of all our past experiences and impressions.  These people had experiences, impressions, witnesses and so forth, but they failed to remember (a key word in the scriptures)

Testimonies can be fleeting.  They are not static.  They must be nurtured, we must try to remember the experiences, the impressions, the witnesses that we receive each day.  In danger is the man who thinks his testimony is untouchable and finds complacency and ingratitude.

This chapter was a great reminder to me to study the words of the prophets and remember what I have been taught, shown, felt, experienced, etc.

What did you get (Angie)?   :)

TOMORROW: Helaman 9

Comments

  1. Kind of relating to Nephi actually. I went in and taught the Priesthood lesson a few weeks ago on Emergency Preparation and Provident living. A short while later I was able to teach similar principles at a public class with a little different approach.

    As I was preparing to teach, teaching and reviewing how it went. I knew in my heart that many of my words had fallen on deaf ears. It was a sad feeling to understand that some people just aren't going to listen and what jeapordy that will put themselves and their families in.

    Nephi wasn't just talking to hear himself speak, he was advocating for their souls. He was preaching the same things the prophets before him had already said. And yet, many deaf ears.

    Our lesson on obedience Sunday really got me to thinking. It's like the Word of Wisdom, if you obey it, the doors of knowledge are opened up for you to learn more. I know that I have been abundantly blessed in that area. If we are striving to be obedient in gospel principles, one of the blessings is to have more doors of knowledge open to us. I think it gives us opportunities to learn and grow. We can more easily hear the spirit and understand the difference between our thoughts and inspiration.

    But when not obedient, those doors get shut. People start relying on their own thoughts, get caught up in their pride, and start "locking" the shut doors and the spirit can't even get through. I have to wonder what things I am guarding against? I'd rather secure my doors against Satan and his negativity than lock my doors against the spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts