Helaman 5

Helaman 5

On of my favorite verse of the Book of Mormon is Helaman 5:12.  I always put my name in there, as if Helaman were talking to me.  "And now, Michelle, remember that it is upon teh rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation..."

I also noted that in 7 verses (6-13) Helaman told his sons to "remember."  Then in verse 14, it says, "And they did remember his words; and therefore they went forth, keeping the commandments of God..."

Sometimes people question why it seems we learn the same things each Sunday, year after year.  It is so we can remember what has been taught, remember what is most important.  And as we remember, we will go forth, keeping the commandments.

I love the story in this chapter about the prison walls falling to the earth. The voice of the Lord can be heard three times calling those around them to repentance. How patient the Lord is with us.

This is one of the most powerful experiences recorded in the Book of Mormon.  The voice of God granting peace because of their faith, the appearance of angels, Lehi and Nephi conversing with angels, the conversion of thousands of Lamanites and Nephites.  This is certainly one of my top 5 chapters!

What did you get out of it today?

TOMORROW: Free For All Friday

Comments

  1. It's been a rough couple of days dealing with stiffnecked people. I can totally relate to Nephi becoming weary. For me, I just want to hide in the house and not deal with anyone!

    I love verse 7 because it reminds me that to be remembered for doing good is so important. It's one of the important ways to lay up treasures in heaven.

    There are times when I wish for that pillar of fire, ministering angels and tumbling of walls in my life to profoundly show me that God loves me. But verse 30 reminds me that there is so much communicated by the "still voice of perfect mildness." It's hard to get out of my own head and open myself to listen and hear the promptings and guidance of that voice when the world is closing in.

    Some days the "peace" comes easier and some days we have to quiet ourselves and look for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts