Helaman 16

Helaman 16

There were quite a few things that stuck out to me in this chapter.  First, I recognized the pattern between the believable and nonbelievers of Samuel:

Believers:  Heard - believed - sought after proper authority (Nephi) - confessed sins - were baptized. Eventually the wise men (of the believers) were visited by angels)

Nonbelievers:  Heard - were angry - cast stones - shot arrows - depended on their own strength - and reasoned away the signs of the times.  They let Satan have great hold upon their hearts.

Our hearts our precious things.  What do they long for? What lies in them? And the big question of that time, and ours: WHO has a hold of them?

As always, the stories in the Book of Mormon seem to foreshadow our time.  We are coming closer to the second coming of the Savior.  We can tell by the prophecies of old and modern days, but also by the events of the world around us.  There are tsunamis, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, now crazy dust storms that are taking over cities.  And yet, on the news and all around, people saying it's "weird" or "coincidence.  They "imagine up in their hearts, which were foolish and vain."

The believers of the day are often made fun of: those who are looking for Jesus to come again.  We are mocked in movies and in the media.  I, frankly, don't care if I am made fun of.  We know it's coming, and we look forward to His coming with faith and anticipation. And we teach our children the same.

I am different from the world, and I am happy to be.  I know who has hold of my heart- my Savior.


TOMORROW: 3 Nephi 1

Comments

  1. There are some behaviors so blatantly wrong because they go against social ideals. Murder.Stealing. The big ones. Typically most societies, regardless of religion, react quite similar.

    There is a long complicated thought process which goes along with these comments, a lifetime of experiences which prompted it. But I thought to myself about the people who were so convinced that Samuel was crazy and then shot arrows and threw stones. It's easy to sit back and read about it and pass judgment because those behaviors obviously go against the basic societal norms WE live under.

    But this chapter spurred thoughts regarding the little things. What did they talk about over dinner? How did they speak to each other? Was there any small act of kindness done each day? Did these sinful, wicked people still tuck their children into bed with a kiss?

    Did they feel good about their thoughts, opinions and behaviors, even though in the end, they were so in the wrong? What is the measuring stick they used to justify their behavior? Why couldn't they see?

    I can ask myself these same questions each day. I am far from throwing stones, stealing, or murder. But it is the little things I need to be sure I am using the right measuring stick against. Because it always starts there. One can be blatantly "righteous" and still not be righteous at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts