Helaman 10

Helaman 10

I seem to say this more often than not, but it is true still the same: I love this chapter!

Nephi, son of Helaman, is my new scripture hero.  He was humble, faithful, diligent, courageous and selfless. Nephi had already given himself to much prayer(Helaman 7), preaching and prophesying (8-9) and still the Nephites wouldn't listen. Now in chapter 10 God Himself speaks to Nephi. We only have a handful of recordings where Lord has appeared and/or spoken to a prophet. Nephi's account is so personal and so powerful.  There are a few things that I noticed about this experience:

1. After Nephi had prayed and prophesied, Nephi was pondering the condition of the Nephites and the events that had just taken place when the Lord came to him.

2. The Lord beheld that Nephi 1- was unwearied in declaring the word 2. not afraid 3. sought not his own life 4. sought His will and 5. kept His commandments.  Because of these things, Nephi was blessed forever, given the sealing power and is carried by the Spirit from place to place.

I wonder how these five key things can be applied in my life.  I ask myself the questions: Am I unwearied in speaking up when the Spirit prompts me to and when opportunities arise? Am I unafraid of men (the world), their  opinions and powers? Do I trust my life in His hands? Do I seek His will over mine? Do I keep His commandments?  

I'd like believe I can answer affirmative to each of these things.  I know I try.  But I also know there is room for much improvement.

I think, though, that all of these things fall under the same, most important, umbrella.  In verse 5 the Lord entrusts Nephi with the sealing power, that whatsoever he says shall be done.  He does this because "thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will."

Nephi had accomplished the goal of every person on earth: To align his will perfectly with God's so much so that God's will is truly Nephi's will in all things. God knew that he could trust Nephi completely with His power, because Nephi would not ask for anything that God wouldn't.

To be at that level of spirituality, maturity, selfless, charity and so on!  I can't imagine!  Well, I try to, because that is what I am striving for.  What a beautiful example of the love of a disciple and the Lord.

What did you get out of this wonderful chapter today?

TOMORROW: Free For All Friday

Comments

  1. Sorry for my late reply. The pager went off during scripture study time and I didn't sit back down until this morning. Which is probably a good thing because after the happenings of yesterday, this chapter really helped me refocus this morning.

    Nephi was doing what he could. He was preaching until he was blue in the face. He was calling people to repentance and telling them the Lord was going to smite them if they didn't listen up. In the end, Nephi was blessed for his courage to speak up. He was blessed for his diligence, willingness and personal obedience.

    Sometimes I get so down because I cannot get through to some one in my life. I know her. I love her. I pray mightily on her behalf. My heart breaks over her stupid decisions. The more I find out about those decisions, the less respect I have for her. But the bottom line is twofold... I still love her dearly but I cannot save her. She has to wake up and save herself.

    While no where near the same I can kind of relate to Nephi and what some of the feelings he must have been having. He prayed for the people. Loved them. Tried to reach them. But he couldn't save them. They had to turn to God and save themselves. But they didn't.

    It is increasingly painful to watch someone head down a path to destruction. wondering how far they are going to sink before they decide to swim. Nephi clearly saw the future for the people. While I cannot see that clearly, I can see enough not to be surprised anymore. Maybe Nephi had the same plea.... just let the people see before it's too late. Unfortunately... we don't ever know when too late is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts