3 Nephi 3

3 Nephi 3

Have you ever said, "The nerve of some people!" That's what I thought when I read the letter from Ginnianhi to Lachoneus!  I laughed when I read in verse 11 that Lachoneus was exceedingly astonished at his boldness- because I was feeling the same exact thing!

In verse 12 Lachoneus makes one thing clear: He was a just man and couldn't be frightened by other men. Later, in verse 16, the words of Lachoneus to the Nephites struck fear in them. So, what is the difference?

I was talking to my nephew last night about fear.  When I was younger I was afraid of what people thought of me. I was afraid of failing.  I was afraid of looking stupid.  I was afraid of getting hurt.

But, as I have gotten older, I shared with him my greatest fear now: That I will, somehow, lose the companionship of the Holy Ghost. To live a life that is unguided and unsupported is my greatest fear.  Why? Becasue I know in whom I trust, and He has only led me to that which is good and has brought me joy.  I have tried life on my own, and I'm just not that good yet :)  I want to have the communication with my Father in Heaven, I want to have His guidance and I want to become like Him.

Lachoneus wasn't afraid of what any man, or robber, could do it him.  It wasn't man that caused fear in the Nephites.  It was losing the guidance and protection of a loving Heavenly Father. So, when the threat came, what did they do? They prayed for strength (vs 12), appointed a man who had the spirit of revelation- the ability to receive guidance from God (vs 19) and they followed him.

I know I can follow that same pattern in my life. I can choose not to fear man (the world), I can pray for strength, and I can follow those who have the authority to receive revelation from Him (Prophet).  I can also receive my own personal revelation along the way.

I know what I fear, and it's not man (ok- maybe bears and sharks and a dark flight of stairs- but not the world, lol)

What did you get out of this chapter?

TOMORROW: Free For All Friday

Comments

  1. I can relate a little to the outlook of Lachoneus, when you have someone so prideful and arrogant get up in your face, and you KNOW you are in the right, it is hard to not burst into laughter at the ridiculousness of their actions. But that was not the main message I got from this chapter.....

    Sometimes we are called to fight the dragons and sometimes we are called to fortify the defenses. Either one can be a difficult task. It is so important to understand what God would have us do. If He doesn't want us out there with our swords, we will not be successful.

    For me, it is my time to be home building the defenses and fortifying the walls. It is more fun to slay dragons, but more rewarding to know I am working on the areas God wants me to right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living Waters by LeAnnJuly 28, 2011 at 10:07 PM

    I enjoyed your thoughts on 3 Nephi 3. It was insightful and gave me some thoughts to ponder.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts