Helaman 11

Helaman 11

Sorry about Saturday!  I was driving home from a two-week long vacation in California and didn't do well planning ahead :)

So, today is Helaman 11.  A few things struck me.  Rather than seeing the destruction of the Nephites, Nephi asked the Lord to cause a famine and drought in the land.  The thing that impresses me is that Nephi must have suffered as well, but he was willing to put himself in that situation for his people that he loved.  It lasted for four years, until the Nephites were humbled enough to repent and Nephi asked the Lord to cause it to rain.  Another selfless act on Nephi's part.

That peace only lasted 3 years. Then the danger came, and again it was from within.  I think Angie pointed out the fact that we so often are on the lookout for outward dangers, but many times it is something within that brings us grief.

I also noted a direct correlation between remembering=humble and forgetting=pride.  It is another powerful reminder to me that I must also remember the things I've been taught, the things I've experienced and the things I once knew.  If I begin to forget them, my heart might be hardened and pride might lead me to unhappiness, and eventual destruction.

What did you get out of this chapter today?

TOMORROW: Helaman 12

Comments

  1. When I read this chapter I really started to wonder if we are basically in the same boat as the Nephites? Is the Lord giving our country an opportunity to repent by sending floods, tornadoes, drought, etc.?

    I am sure Nephi was struggling along with others. Maybe more in the emotional realm? It's extra hard for me when my faith and perserverance is tested, not because of my own choices, but because of the choices of others. It's often easier to stay strong when I just have to worry about myself.

    Somedays all we can do is pray for the strength to carry on until the famine is over and the war is ready to begin.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts