Helaman 3

Helaman 3

I feel like I always say this, but there is so much in this chapter that I only picked out a few things to comment on. (It seems that every chapter is filled with great stuff!)

In verses 27-30 it talks about what the Lord gives to those who call upon His holy name in sincerty.  It doesn't say they will get new cars, worldly riches, or an easy life.  In vs. 38 it says that the "gate of heaven is open unto all, even those who will believe on the name of Jesus Christ..."

Opening the gate of heaven- that is the greatest reward that can be given to us.  Sometimes we think that if we are righteous that we will be blessed with peace and prosperity, and those are the rewards for our righteousness.  Though they certainly are "perks," they are not promised or guaranteed.

I also notice how often in the scriptures the people fast and pray for what they desire.  Their faith inspires me.

What did you get out of today?

TOMORROW: Helaman 4

Comments

  1. One thing I would like to have the opportunity to do is read all the other records about the people. It's interesting to me that they shipped timber to other areas, I would really like a clearer understanding of where each group was at on the map. It's intriguing to me.

    This chapter spoke of pride quite often."not in the church of God, but into the hearts of people who professed to belong to the church of God." It's so sad to me how much pride gets in the way for people. I know I have my area to work on and I am constantly reminding myself to be careful. I am not sure exactly how to sanctify my heart, but it is something I definitely need to work on.

    The other verse that caught my eye was 29. if you lay hold up on the word of God.... you can divide asunder the snares of the devil. By doing this you can go directly to heaven.... strait and narrow path to heaven. I have heard the definition of "strait" before... but I took a moment to wikipedia it, and it made this huge lightbulb go off in my head.

    "A strait or straits is a narrow, navigable channel of water that connects two larger navigable bodies of water."

    Now I think of that "straight and narrow path" as a navigable channel that connect the two destinations of my life. Earth and Heaven. I am a very visual person and this really helped me "see" this picture. A strait of water still has dangers, rocks, currents, etc. But with right guidance system and navigation tools, a huge ship can make it through this small passage to bigger and better things. I love brain pictures that make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Ang! May I blog about this sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure. =) I expect a hidden reference to my amazing insight! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts