3 Nephi 4

3 Nephi 4

I can guarantee that my friend Angie loves this chapter: It's a fantastic lesson on food storage and emergency preparation!

The Nephites were able to defeat the robbers because they

1) banded together and
2) had 7 years' worth of provisions to live off of
3) They kept their faith and were always praising and thanking their God

They were commanded to come together and gather their provisions, they obeyed.  They were commanded to repent and remember God, they obeyed.  They were blessed with safety, direction and eventual victory over the robbers- after which they again thanked God through many humble tears.

The robbers' destruction came from pride, greed and the unwillingness to work for their provisions and store them.  The only way they could survive physically was to plunder. They were destroyed.

I was talking to Angie the other day (who is an amazing example to me of provident living- she even has a 6 month supply of toilet paper and cans meat!) and I made a comment about obeying the prophet in even the smallest of things. She looked at me and in her loving, yet honest and direct way called me on the carpet on a commandment that I have been lack on: I had a negligible food storage supply even though the prophets have commanded us to build a food storage and get prepared for an emergency for years.  

I was grateful and humbled for her loving reminder.  I repented and since then I have nearly finished my emergency kits for the family;  I have cleaned out my garage and installed shelves and have begin to fill them with food and supplies.  I had all my excuses: it costs money, it takes time, I've been fine so far, and (my personal favorite and most ridiculous one) Mt. Rainier is gonna blow it'll take my house and food storage with it, so why worry about it.

In verse 33 the Nephites knew that God delivered them from the hands of their enemies because they had repented and they were humble.  Yep- I was called to gentle repentance and am now focused on the principle of obedience in all things, little and large, obvious and obscure, convenient and difficult, sensible or not. I don't want to be the one Nephite family that didn't have any provisions and was left to the robbers.

This is not intended to be a sermon, this is just the way this chapter and the recent events of my life have affected me.

What did you get out of this chapter?

TOMORROW: Sabbath Day Rest

MONDAY: 3 Nephi 5

Comments

  1. I didn't mean to chastise you, just leave me alone about my earrings! LOL

    I was visiting with a friend the other day and she mentioned President Hinckley's conference talk in 2007 on preparedness. He wasn't "prophesying" that there was a famine beginning because all the other prophets had already done that. But it was pretty clear if one was listening that was what he was saying. That was 4 years ago. Look at where we are now... and as historically, most famines last for 7 years, we still have a ways to go. And it gets worse as time goes on.

    Having many "internet friends" from all over the country, there is a huge push for people to work on their preparedness and most are not even LDS! They are from the farm belt of the US and realize there will be little to no crops this year.

    I have heard more than one person say.... I will just go to such-in-such's house if there is an emergency. Or the bishop will call us all together and we will just share with everyone. Negative. 5 out of 10 virgins chose not to bring enough oil. They were turned away. It is certainly our responsibility to prepare for our own families and try for more than we need so we can share! But our family is our responsibility.

    But, with this chapter, it was not the need to prepare, but the driving home of the point that the robbers in the BOM were driven to steal from those who were prepared. It's already happening in our area! Robbers aren't always going for the tv's and stereo's..... it's juice, food storage, canning, camping equipment. The necessities for survival of life.

    I pray daily for the Lord to protect our home and property. I pray that we will be blessed for the obedience we have shown and continue to work on. It is a daily, weekly, monthly goal to work on preparedness because provident living is a way of life. Yes, this is a chapter I can become very passionate about. It's not "looking" for signs, but recognizing them when you see them. It's not a doomsday mentality, but living in a way to have peace as things go bad. That's the real goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chapter is wonderful at pointing out the things we need to be working on.

    In a word we need to HARKEN.

    I have much to do, rotating what I have started. Adding where I need to add.
    MormonTimes suggested have cash in large and small bills, change, duct tape. I am sure there is more.

    When I have been obedient and done all I can, and am more prepared than I am now, I will not fear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts