1 Nephi 10

1 Nephi 10


It's interesting how Nephi starts this chapter: And now, I Nephi, proceed to give an account of my proceedings...

I know he was asked to make two different sets of plates, but I see a greater significance in the word my in that sentence.

Thus far he has told of the experiences of his father and his family. We know that it was in Nephi's character to be righteous and obedient. He had had many spiritual experiences himself as well: He spoke with the Lord, he was led by the Spirit to obtain the plates, he saw an angel. Nephi was not new to spiritual things.  

But, to me chapter 10 is the beginning of something really significant. He turns to the Lord not for his brethren, but for his testimony and understanding. It was truly the beginning of his proceedings.

When I teach my children the gospel, I tell that what I know, I teach from the scriptures and good books and I testify what I believe. Then I tell them to go and ask the Lord if what I said was true.

Nephi just listened to an amazing dream his dad had. I'm sure he believed his father was telling the truth. I'm sure he believed it was real because his father testified of it. BUT he wanted that witness from the Lord for himself that it was true.

In verse 17 he said: And I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost...

He had am amazing testimony. He was already strong in the Lord. But, he saw the value - even necessity- of a personal witness and conversion.

That was probably the greatest difference between him and Laman and Lemuel.

Nephi wrote this account years after it happened. Verses 18-22 are his testimony at the time of his writing the record. You can see the beauty and eloquence, the depth and breadth, of his understanding and faith.

In verse 17 he writes how he wanted to know for himself, then the very next verse we get to see the fruits of his labors.  I think that is so neat.

What a great example to us of today, in our lives. We go to church and hear the listens, we read the scriptures, we follow the commandments - but our testimony, our conversion, ONLY comes when we seek that personal revelation from the Lord.  That is when we stand on our own two feet. That is when we stand on our own faith and testimony.

If we don't have the strength to to stand on our own yet, that by all means, lean on the testimony of others while you strengthen yourself! A doctor wouldn't tell a man with a casted broken leg not to use crutches. No. He would tell them to lean on the crutches until he has the strength to stand on his own.

I'm sure Nephi had a strong testimony, but he still leaned somewhat on his parents's testimonies while he was actively strengthening his own. It wouldn't be too long after this that his parents would both be gone, and he would be separated from his brothers. He had the strength sufficient to stand on his own testimony then.

Anyway, that's just what struck me today :)

There are so many great things in this chapter that I didn't touch on, that I'm sure you picked up on!  I'm excited to hear your insights. You don't know how enjoy them and glean from them.

Comments

  1. I love the reference to SEE, HEAR, and KNOW. I think it has a lot deeper meaning than I understand.

    We often talk about feeling the Spirit, and hearing the still small voice, but how much do we talk about SEEING in the church. Almost never. In fact, seeing is regarded as something unnecessary because of faith. Yet in 3rd Nephi 19:35 it says:

    And it came to pass that when Jesus had made an end of praying he came again to the disciples, and said unto them: So great faith have I never seen among all the Jews; wherefore I could not show unto them so great miracles, because of their unbelief.

    When Christ was in the Americas he was able to show great miracles to the people because of their faith. Why should this be different with us? If we truly have exercised faith, God can show us miracles that we can SEE with our natural eyes as a blessing for our faith.

    As we learn from Nephi though, this is something that we must desire and seek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's chapter resounds with child like learning, then personal responsibility for our relationship with God & our testimony. I was taught to "question boldly", as a child of the 60/70's. This has helped me to become a "seeker" of knowledge, truth and God's plan for me. Personal knowledge & testimony helped me to "leap" into the gospel of Jesus Christ and join His church, even against the wishes of my family.
    Nephi needed the strength from his father for his foundation and to prepare him for his mission. He strength came from his personal relationship with God. This chapter helps me to see that I can be a little like Nephi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine. You are a bold thinker. I've always loved that about you :)

      Delete
  3. Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing WW??? I have experienced this twice now…WEEKEND WITHDRAWALS! I find myself looking forward to, almost longing for, Monday so I can receive my daily dose of inspiration from you all. Although, I must say, it is good to have those couple of days to think about what has been shared throughout the week and to re-read the postings to catch anything I may have missed the first time.

    The course of the Lord is one eternal round...
    ~He is the same yesterday, today and forever~

    In verse 18 where Nephi is talking about HOW Lehi spoke. “...by the power of the Holy Ghost”. Think about those words. He spake by the power of the Holy Ghost. What does that mean? Have you ever spoken by the power of the Holy Ghost? What does that look like? “...which power he received by faith on the son of God...” (That is an interesting choice of words. We usually say we have faith IN the son of God…simply an interesting observation.)

    Verse 11 caught my attention. This is the first time I have read these words and wondered about them: “...after they had slain the Messiah, who should come, and after he had been slain he should rise from the dead, and should make himself manifest, by the Holy Ghost, unto the Gentiles.” I have often wondered how there could be some who did not believe in the Savior when the saw him with their own eyes. I always figured if they SAW him they should BELIEVE him. But, this verse makes it very clear that he made himself manifest by the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost testified to them that this was Christ, the Messiah.

    If you have any more thoughts or insights on this, please share. I think my eyes are just beginning to be opened as I truly “study” the scriptures, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. Thank you, Michelle, for being my catalyst! And, thank you to everyone who is willing to share thoughts, insights and testimony. You have increased my understanding!

    One last thought regarding the Holy Ghost, if I focus my attention on how many times the Holy Ghost is mentioned in this chapter, I realize the importance of his role in my life. Here are the few I noticed in addition to the one I already mentioned from verse 11:
    Verse 17 – Lehi spoke by the power of the Holy Ghost, Nephi could know of these things by the power of the Holy Ghost; verse 19 – the mysteries of God shall be unfolded by the power of the Holy Ghost; and the last verse, 22, the Holy Ghost gave authority to Nephi to speak the things he spoke and he could not deny them. We cannot forget the role of the Holy Ghost in our lives. He is a very important part of the Godhead and we would do well to heed his promptings (personal commandments from God). Wickedness or righteousness? It is our choice. We will be judged accordingly. Do we want to live with God? We must repent and Come Unto Christ. If only we will heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost, as Nephi did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your insights about the Holy Ghost! You've taught me and moved me. Thank you!!

      Delete
  4. At times I have found myself wandering along- not really focused on the important things- just trying to keep up with whatever life handed me that day.

    I have been able to change that "life-method" by actively seeking. Just like it says to do in this chapter. Know I want to know. I seek out the truth. And I don't just mean gospel principles. I mean truth about current events, home and health, education, etc. Wandering around without seeking- can't go back now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts