Helaman 9

Helaman 9

Nephi's the man.

The phrase that caught my attention this time was "ye uncircumcised of heart." It is used once before in 2 Nephi 9:33. It says:  33 Wo unto the auncircumcised of heart, for a knowledge of their iniquities shall smite them at the last day.

Stephen in Acts 7:51 said:  51 ¶Ye astiffnecked and buncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always cresist the dHoly Ghost: as your efathers did, so do ye.

Physical circumcision was a sign of conversion, belonging to the house of Israel. To be uncircumcised was breaking that covenant.  Nephi was telling them that they had turned away from their faith, blinded by their sins. Bad things are coming their way and Nephi was trying to warn them.

Like I mentioned a few days ago- it's like shaking the shoulders of someone you love who is making choices that hurt themselves.  You want to just shake them and say "Why are you being so stupid? You know better. Stop it!"

Nephi loved his people, and all he wanted was for them to repent. He was bold and humble, speaking his mind but giving credit to God.

What did you think/learn today.

Comments

  1. It has been interesting lately, at least to me, how people are so willing to jump on the bandwagon of sin, and yet, berate those who would stand up for solid Christian values. I have thought alot about this and where I stand on a few subjects.

    Nephi knew where he stood and was willing to put it all out there to try and make a difference. Even at the peril of his own life. Honestly, I am not sure I am quite there yet.

    But what my thoughts lately, and reading the scriptures, has helped me with is that I need to know where I stand and not only what I stand for, but what subjects am I willing to make a stand for. Lot's of standing, I know.

    I want to stand firmly on the right hand of God. I recognize that many choose to stand on the left, and it is their choice. It is not for me to judge them, just to continue setting the best example I can of what I believe. It is my responsibility to love the person, not the sin.

    Nephi had prophetic insight to help him convince the people about God. It didn't always work. So how can my little opinion without the power of prophecy convince people? I don't know. But then again, if all I can do is reach out in love, I hope God will make up the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ang- I like your comments today (well, I do everyday, but I don't always get around to responding) I feel like I'm going down a similar path. As I've read the scriptures regularly, I feel like I am becoming more firm in my place and where I want to stand. I see the great chasm that is growing between right and wrong in the world, and I know which side I need/want to be on. I try to share what I believe, help and pray for others- but sometimes it doesn't do much good.

      I do think the most important thing is for us to stand on solid ground. If others don't believe, that's because they aren't there yet, on their path of learning, discovery and faith. Or, maybe they just don't want to be. It's frustrating and sad, especially when they are ones you love.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts