3 Nephi 7

3 Nephi 7

I'm reading this as I'm watching the National Republican Convention here in the US.  We are approaching the time where we vote for the next President of the United States. It's amazing how the government works when the people are united.  That's how it was for the Nephites at various times throughout the Book of Mormon.  Here they had experienced a time of unity in purpose and government, but how quickly that fades.

They split up in to self-governing groups- to each his own.  That didn't work very well for them.

After a hiatus of of nearly 30 years Nephi returns to preaching and healing. Despite the miracles he performed they not only didn't believe, but became angry.

Who does that? Who gets angry in the face of truth and miracles?

More amazing is the reason they were mad- because Nephi had great power.  They believed him and believed what he said- they couldn't help but believe him.  But, they were made because of the power that Nephi had.  Sounds like Satan in the preexistence. He knew God and Jesus Christ, but he was angry because Jesus was the Savior, leaving Satan with no power or prestige (of course, we know that is NOT why the Savior volunteers. That was out of pure love for us, not pride or power).  Satan was made because, in his eyes, he had no power. And that is the very reason his followers here were angry with Nephi.

I also found it interesting that in verses 25 and 26 Mormon makes a special effort to be very clear about the purpose and importance- even necessity - of baptism.  We are not a people of just believers, we are doers.  We activity FOLLOW Him, not just listen to Him.

What are your thoughts today?


Comments

  1. Today I am relating to that small part of the people of the BOM that kept to themselves, believed in the Lord and withstood the buffetings to change to the wicked side of things... staying out of the wordly things, not falling for the prideful who try to lead people astray.

    I am in a "just leave me alone" type of mindset.

    I believe in miracles, I know God is in charge, and I know, for sure, that to keep a faithful frame of mind takes work. Somedays more than others!

    I think it is great that Nephi had the courage to go out and preach to the wicked, the faith to raise the dead, and the conviction to try and convert. I am more in the attitude of "you have made your bed" and if you don't want to be saved, then fine. Do your thing and I will do mine.

    My "thing" includes working on the things which are important, things which the spirit whispers are priorities for me and my family. Scriptures, serving, prayer, studying, learning, and... finishing the last box of peaches so I can pick beans and start canning those.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts