Helaman 11

Helaman 11

A couple things in this chapter really hit me.


First, Nephi was willing to sacrifice his own comfort for the benefit of others. He asked the Lord to allow a famine in the land- and there was according to his words.  For three years three was a famine and the people suffered, and so must have Nephi. But, because of his love for his brethren, and his desire to see them converted, he was willing to suffer along side of them.

Notice how he never left. They knew exactly where to find him after those three years. I think that is a beautiful and unselfish sacrifice.  One that paid off, for they turned back to him and back to God.


The next thing that caught my attention was in verse 23, where it states that Nephi and Lehi knew the true points of doctrine through daily revelations.

One of my favorite quotes is my Joseph F. Smith: " As a boy I would frequently go out and ask the Lord to show me some marvelous thing, in order that I might receive a testimony. But the Lord withheld marvels from me, and showed me the truth, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little, until he made know the truth from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet, and until doubt and fear had been absolutely purged from me...by the Spirit of the living God, he gave to me the testimony I possess."

Nephi and Lehi and the others didn't gain their testimony and strength through miracles. It was through the daily inspiration from the Holy Ghost that came from obedience.

I used to be similar to the young Joseph F. I prayed for miracles. I wanted to see something big or amazing. Then I would know. But, I am forty now, and even though I've had some really special experiences, I can say that my testimony has grown from every small drop of inspiration and knowledge He has sent my way. As I've read my scriptures, studied them, attended church, the temple, served others, taught my family- these thing are what have built my testimony to where it is today.

How grateful am I for the small pieces that make me whole.


The last thing I thought was interesting was the different ways people are tried.  Sometimes God tries them: famine. Sometimes he allows us to try each other: Lamanites/Nephites. And sometimes we are tried because of our own disobedience: verse 34 in this chapter.



What did you think/learn today?

Comments

  1. I was putting in my co-op order this morning, before reading my scriptures. The whole time I was trying to decide what we needed for groceries and pantry items, I couldn't help but see how much the prices have gone up. Then I got distracted and read a couple of news articles on the drought and financial outlook in the US right now, always an uplifting moment - not. I was contemplating my need to organize my pantry- which is very out of sorts at the moment. Thinking about how I really needed to bottle up some beans and corn this week, but just don't have the time and energy. And then... to the scriptures...

    Nephi asked for a famine instead of war. I think war just creates more hard feelings between people and when you are caught up in hard feelings, you aren't paying much attention to the soft and tender things of the spirit. So the area was "blessed" with a famine. Guess when you are starving to death you have a litle more time to contemplate eternity?

    Then my mind went to a lesson I taught in PH over a year ago... I was pretty blunt. Told the brethren-- you are out of time gentlemen. I have to wonder if anyone even paid attention? Did they make the changes they needed to? Or are their families going to suffer because they aren't going to be able to put food on the table? Sobering if you really think about it.

    It is a beautiful day outside. I am grateful for it. I look forward to going out and puttering in the garden. I am grateful that while I was reading this chapter, I was able to have peace knowing that I have done all I can to listen to my own warning- to the Lord's warning. We don't have everything we need, because living a provident and self-sufficient lifestyle is constant work in progress (especially living in town)... and I am not sure who asked for the famine instead of war, but I sure hope people start humbling themselves and turning to God before things really get out of hand. Or maybe they already are?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts