Mosiah 2

Mosiah 2

A few things I found interesting today:  Verse 4: They understood that obedience and education were keys to peace and, more importantly, the love of God.  That's why they rejoiced. Not because they had riches, or worldly goods- but because they had love.

We read about the love of God here and here.  It is the beginning and end of all that is good, of faith, of joy and of purpose. It us the love of God that brought us here, and will bring us home, if we let it.

They recognized that, and were grateful for it.

And of course, I love verse 6: And they pitched their tents round the temple, every man having his tent with the door thereof towards the temple, that thereby they might remain in their tents and hear the words which king Benjamin should speak unto them;

They faced the temple- I often do a self-assessment, and check which direction am I facing? Do I have my intentions, my eyes, my ears and my heart faced towards God? Or am I focusing somewhere else?  Am I keeping myself in the safety of my home (and His home, the temple) or do I allow myself to wander about in treacherous territory? Am I eager to hear the words of the Lord through His prophets?

I am so impressed with king Benjamin's humility. Despite his station, he truly felt he was no better that those who followed him.  He continually served and loved them.  My husband reminds me of him, for he often says that he would never ask someone to do something he wasn't willing to do himself.


Here's the bottom line, found in verse 22: And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments...


In the verses following 22 king Benjamin goes on to explain who we are like the dust of the earth. I was once asked, "How are we supposed to feel special when we are told we are like dirt?"

Well- we're not. But that's not what king Benjamin was saying.

I was in a temple recommend interview once, when the interviewer stopped and asked me to share my feelings about the Savior.  At that moment I had a clear picture of what king Benjamin meant.  I understood that I was lost, that I was nothing without Him, and that knowledge made my gratitude and love for Him swell.  I knew that I must be worth everything for Him to do what He did for me.  He made something out of nothing with me.

There is so much more in this chapter about the Holy Ghost, obedience, service, repentance, etc.  But the underlying message is this, again shared in verse 41: ...blessed and happy are those that keep the commandments.

What did you think/learn today?






Comments

  1. I love reading these chapters on King Benjamin's address! He was a great man! There are many verses I marked, but the one that I have chosen to write about today is verse 18. "Behold ye have called me your king, and if I, whom ye call your king, do labour to serve you, then ought not ye to labour to serve one another?" This verse reminded me of when the Saviour washed his Apostles feet, not long before he died. This is what Christ says in John 13:14-15 "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example that ye should do as I have done to you." King Benjamin truly lived a Christ-like life and I know he is living in a state of never ending happiness with God, just as he described in verse 41.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am playing catch up--- since the storm and subsequent 18 hour work days, I got behind.
    In verse 4 it says they appointed just men to be their teachers. I have been thinking alot about this lately. When you are a teacher, you have to be fair, understanding, and yet, strict. At least it seems that way to me.

    Then there is the description of the families gathering with their tents and Mosiah building a tower to teach from. Pretty much similar to getting general conference in our homes now. Where else is there a better place to be uplifted and feel the spirit of the Lord than with our families gathered around us.

    It seems so simple.... all He requires is us to keep His commandments and He will bless and prosper us. Why does it sound so easy , and yet, some days it is so hard to keep that eternal perspective.

    And then... we can be blessed with all things temporal and spiritual IF we hold out faithful to the end. I love that. Because... some days it is all about holding onto faith and enduring the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts