Mosiah 11

Mosiah 11

What strikes me in this chapter is the power of one.

One evil man can turn so many to evil.

And one righteous man can do the same for good.

Sometimes we feel small, like we don't matter. But, each one of us affects everyone around us.  Do they part from us happier and better people because they knew and/or associated with us? Or not?

It really is up to us.

I also wonder, being the fact that King Noah's kingdom couldn't have been too big, how well-acquainted King Noah and Abinidi were with each other, if at all.  It seems that they probably crossed paths a time or two in their lives before they met under these circumstances.  What do you think?


I don't think there are any instances where a people were preached repentance to, and they accepted the call willingly, unless they were humble.  I was thinking, as I read the people's hateful reaction to Abinidi, that Noah, Moses, Paul, Ammon, Nephi and Lehi, Samual the Lamanite- all the great prophets were received with great resistance, even animosity, because of the pride of the people.  Only those who were humble, as in King Bejamin or Alma's place (among others) truly repented.

They say pride is the root of all evil.  I believe it. It blinds eyes, hardens hearts, deafens ears and keeps us away from the God that made us.

The kicker is that most all of us struggle with it at one level or another.

What did you think/learn today?


Comments

  1. I can't help but wonder to myself, didn't Zeniff know that his son was wicked and would lead his people down a bad path? Surely his son showed signs of wickedness before his father died. But then again, I don't think he would have made Noah the King if he was being so wicked before. Perhaps it all happened after, as riches and power can change a man.

    Abinadi is one of my most favourite people in the Book of Mormon. He had such courage and conviction. I am looking forward to reading about him again.

    I couldn't help but laugh at King Noah's statement in verse 27 when he said "....who is the Lord, that shall bring upon my people such great affliction?" Who is the Lord? Are you kidding me! Zeniff must have been watching from heaven and crying buckets over his son's wickedness.

    Also verse 14 caught my eye - "And it came to pass that he placed his heart upon his riches...."
    We need to place our hearts upon the Lord. Only then will we be truly happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts