3 Nephi 7

3 Nephi 7

How quickly do people fall.  What amazed me not that they were willing to deny Jesus Christ, but in verses 18-20 they were actually angry with Nephi because he taught in a way that made it impossible for them not to believe.  What kind of logic is that? What does that look like in our day?

My friend's son is 20 and struggling to commit to serving a mission. I was talking to him the other day (the son.)  The conversation was very spiritual, and he actually led a lot of it.  But, when it finally came down to serving a mission, the son said he didn't want to pray about it.  When I asked 'Why?' his exact words were, "Because I will get the answer from God that I should go, and I will be really ticked off."

It is the same attitude the Nephites had over 2000 years ago.  They did not want to believe, because with belief come accountability.  My friend's son does not want to to be accountable.  He doesn't want to give up two years of his life, his friends here, his job and his freedom.  But, deep down inside he knows he should, and the kicker is that part of him really wants to go.  He is just afraid.

So, he has chosen to keep Heavenly Father at arms' length: close enough for casual prayer and worship, but far enough away to not hear inspiration and direction.  The result: he feels conflicted, guilty and scared.  I love this young man and I hope that he will begin soften and allow Heavenly Father to guide Him and give him the courage, faith and blessings that are needed to serve a mission.

Some of the Nephites did have change of heart and repented. Their reward is soon to come in just three chapters.

What did you get out of this chapter today?

TOMORROW: 3 Nephi 8

Comments

  1. I find it interesting that when there is great wickedness there is also great miracles. I am sure that is true today. There is so much evil around us, however I feel confident there is an equal amount of God's spirit/miracles. We may not know just where to look.

    In my own life I have been blessed with comforting answers. I have felt the Lord's love for me in the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The missionaries were here yesterday and showed the move "The Testaments" and it is set during the same time as these chapters. Between a scene in the movie and the scriptures we've been reading there has been one theme running through my mind..... Are you a believer?

    "for it were not possible that they could disbelieve his words," They could NOT not believe Nephi because his power was so profound. There is a difference though, between believing and choosing to take a different path anyway and being a believer.

    If you are a believer, the way is clear cut.
    If you are a believer, there is really no question as to how to behave.
    If you are a believer, selfishness should not enter in.
    If you are a believer, priorities are easier to set.
    If you are a believer, you love, you serve, you try, you stand up when others hide, you share when others are silent.
    If you are a believer, you become....

    I can believe someone's words and choose not to follow them because of whatever reason. When it comes to the gospel, however, there are people believe the gospel to be true, but are not believers. Believers are doers of the word.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts