3 Nephi 11

3 Nephi 11

Again it is difficult to comprehend for me the reality of the happenings in this chapter (as in previous ones- but especially this one and the following ones.) I was talking to my primary class about this yesterday.  The lesson was about how Jesus Christ loves children around the world.

I explained to them what the preceding three days were like for the Nephites and then, to the bests of my knowledge  what the coming of the Savior was like for them.  The 5 and 6 year-olds were enthralled.  It really is an amazing story!

In the last two chapters they heard the voice of the Savior.  In this chapter, however, it was a different voice: not harsh or loud, but a small voice that did pierce their hearts.  It was the voice of Heavenly Father.  What a privilege to hear His voice!  Direct communication from Heavenly Father is very rare.  In all times that I have it is in introducing His Son.  I wonder if those who are here when the Savior comes again will hear the voice of the Father introducing Him?

I also taught the children that right after Jesus let the people touch His hands, feet and side He started to teach them.  The very first thing He did was give Nephi and others the Priesthood and then teach them the way to baptize so there wasn't any confusion.  That tells me how important the Priesthood and baptism are.

He then establishes His doctrine - repeated many times to ensure understanding: Believe (faith), Repent, be Baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and endure to the end (buildeth upon my rock 39).  That is the first four principles and ordinances of the gospel (Article of Faith 4.)  That is the main purpose of the Atonement: to provide a way for us to repent and return.

It is so important that He spoke of baptism 11 times in just this chapter.

I love the bottom line.  Tell the the punch line and the moral of the story.  The Savior gets right to it: Have Faith, repent, be baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and hang on.

What did you think of this chapter?

TOMORROW: 3 Nephi 12

Comments

  1. I love this chapter. It is so basic and pure that one has to just accept it for what it is. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living Waters by LeAnnAugust 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

    3 Nephi 11 is one of my favorite chapters; in fact all of 3 nephi is awesome.
    I too think it would be so sweet to hear the voice of our Heavenly Father.
    2 years ago our Stake had a youth activity called Book of Mormon live. My husband and I were able to teach parts of Heleman through 3 Nephi. The youth were divided up and we taught in a tent. We dressed like Book of Mormon times. It was such a spiritual experience and I know that the youth loved the activity.
    Keep on enjoying those moments with the scriptures; I am enjoying following your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts