3 Nephi 13

3 Nephi 13

There was a lot in this chapter that I liked, (service, prayer, forgiveness) but I'm just going to pick out on thing: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven...for where you treasure is, there will your heart be also.

You look at a man sitting on a pile of gold and you can nearly be sure where his focus, his efforts, and his heart has been.

I try take inventory on a regular basis of my priorities and my desires.  Is my time spent on the right things? Is my heart in the right place? What is my treasure?

Sometimes I can get distracted by material things, or the accolades of man (not that that happens much, lol) or even just innocent things that I really like or enjoy.  But, where is my heart? Is it here, in things? Or is in the things that I can take with me, like my testimony, my family and my relationships?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

It's a great chapter that makes me think.

What did you get from today's chapter?


TOMORROW: Free For All Friday

SATURDAY: 3 Nephi 14

Comments

  1. For me, this chapter is all about keeping perspective. Maybe it's the weather or my general attitude, but I kind of felt chastised when I read it because my perspective apparently needed a bit of tweaking today.

    I realize the Lord was talking to the 12 apostles when he told them tomorrow will take care of itself and not to worry about food and clothing. But it still something I need to take more on faith and less on worry as I have been this week. In my life, when the worry bug starts biting, more things become issues than they really should be.

    I love the verse where it says God knows what we need before we do. We know what is expected of us.... to serve, to forgive, to pray, to fast, to seek after eternal things. Keeping our eye towards heaven and those things that are good.

    If we seek after accolades of man for services rendered.... that's all we get for that reward. If we make a big to-do when we "live" the gospel or pray.... admiration of men is all we get. Those are about perspective as well....

    The verse I seem to have the easiest time with is giving no thought for tomorrow because it will take care of itself. I can't even remember what I am supposed to accomplish this afternoon! Maybe that's why getting older is really a blessing because the older we get the less capacity we have to worry about things which helps us stay closer to the Lord because He really IS in charge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has been watching the fall of the stock market, then I read that I/we need to lay up treasure in heaven. I watched the news this morning and learned that a gold earring back would be worth $52!
    I wondered if I am more concerned with what I am worth in dollars and cents than the good I can do.

    I don't have to watch TV very long or window shop to be distracted from my celestial goals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts