3 Nephi 5

3 Nephi 5

I love verse 13. Mormon sounds very Paulesque here.  I admire and am inspired by boldness.  He says: I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people that they might have eternal life.

Bold, faithful, no apologies.  I think sometimes we share the gospel with an apology in our pocket in case we offend our friends.  We cushion the truth of this life so as to not hurt their feelings, or come across preachy. It can be scary to share the gospel.

But, we are disciples of Jesus Christ. We have each been called to be a light on a hill, a Liahona to those who are searching and needing the gospel.  In the last verses of the chapter, Mormon talks of our day, how "they shall know their Redeemer, who is Jesus Christ, the Son of God; and then shall they be gathered in from the four quarters of the earth...."

That is about us. We are disciples of Jesus Christ.  We are called to be gatherers in the last days. We are a part of this revelation that Mormon saw. Isn't that exciting? It is to me! It doesn't mean we need to stand on a street corner preaching, or even running over to our friends house right now and telling them to prepare for the end of the world.  We are to be bold- not crazy.

We are disciples of Jesus Christ, and we have been called to declare it; not so we can hear ourselves talk, or be made to look different or silly- but so that those that we love and come in contact with can have the same blessings of everlasting life as we do. To withhold the opportunity for joy and blessings from them because we are timid is something, I think, we will have to apologize for later. (I knew that in the next life I will have a lot of things to apologize for, and I don't want this to be one of them)

What did you get out of this chapter today?


TOMORROW: 3 Nephi 6

Comments

  1. Reading this made me wonder what kind of world would it be if people would forsake their sins and serve God with diligence day and night. Sometimes the world is such an exhausting place to live in.

    What would our ward be like? Would church be a different place to attend? Then thoughts about our town. What a different place we would live and associate in if people would serve God with diligence day and night.

    Then that thought followed with what kind of home could I have if everyone forsook their sins and served God with diligence. Sometimes home is an exhausting place and we don't harbor murderers or robbers, just people who are basically good!

    I yearn for the the peace the spirit brings. It's sometimes hard to find when the world is swirling around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read this chapter, journaling/records jumped out.

    Mormon engraved his record. I imagine him tapping on metal. I don't think that would have be quick. Yet, so many have benefited from his"tapping"

    We (members of the church) have been asked to keep journals. I love reading my great-grandmothers journal. She was a young widw, her husband died 3 months before their twelfth (12) child was born. Supplies we difficult to maintain and obtain. Her testimony and life are an example to me.

    For Christmas one year she managed to print copies of her jounal and gave them as gifts. I have one now.

    Keeping my personal journal is difficult. Why?! I don't tap my entries on metal
    supplies are easily obtained, so why?

    I think that it personaly I am lead away by the "vain things of the world".
    Do I really NEED to do the things I choose to do? I would be more obiedient and wiser to regularly keep my journal. My grandchildren, and great-grandchildren would be greatful that I did, spending a few moments taping on my key board instead of watching (?) or ?.

    I like to think my grand daughter will enjoy (strengthened) be my journally as much as I have be by my grandmothers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts