3 Nephi 19

3 Nephi 19

Not a very spiritual insight, but I was amused in verse 4 how they just kind of threw in that Nephi brought his brother Timothy back to life.  That is normally something that would not be tucked in my commas!

A few things in this chapter:

1. They all knew that Jesus was coming back that day.  But, instead of just waiting around, they were busy doing, they were gathering, organizing, teaching (varying not from what Jesus had taught) and praying baptizing and giving them the Holy Ghost.    We know the the Savior will come again.  I guess some are just waiting, but me, I want to be among those that are doing: gathering and organizing, teaching and praying. That is what enduring to the end is. It is an active life.

2. The thing the people wanted most of all was the gift of the Holy Ghost.  I love that!  The thing that scares me most in this life is to lose that Gift.  The Holy Ghost is how God communicates, witness and teaches.  It is how He comforts and strengthens me.  It is how I am magnified.  It is by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Atonement can take effect in my life.

3. The power of the Holy Ghost.  In verse 13 the people were baptized and the Holy Ghost did fall upon them, and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire.  We've heard it said that it comes as a burning in our bossoms, so we might say that is what happened here. But, in verse 14 is says that they were encircled about as if it were by fire; and it came down from heaven. How amazing would that have been?  Then angles did com down out of heaven and administer unto them.

4. Jesus prayed for them- and for me.  In verses 23 and 28 Jesus prayed for them and also for all those who shall believe in their words.  That is me.  As I read their words and pray, I believe.  Jesus prayed for me. That touches my soul.

5. The power of prayer.  The people prayed before Jesus arrived. Jesus prayed after He arrived. He asked the disciples to pray in front of Him (I'd be a little nervous!) and then there was more praying! During their prayers, Jesus touched the disciples and they shone with the light of His countenance (transfiguration according to the footnotes.)  Simply amazing!  Then Jesus prayed once again unto the Father.

My favorite words in this chapter are from verse 26.  The Savior simply said, "Pray on."

6. Prayer strengthens faith, faith strengthens prayer.  In verse 35 Jesus said that he had never seen so great faith.  This statement was made after the day of praying among the Nephites, disciples and Jesus Himself.  That to me says there is a direct correlation.

7. Faith precedes the miracle. In verse 35 Jesus stated that the Jews lacked faith, limiting the miracles Jesus would show unto them.   We talk of faith as hope and believing.  But, faith is power.  It opens the door for miracles to happen in our lives.

What a powerful chapter!

What did you learn today?

TOMORROW: Suit Yourself Saturday

Comments

  1. There was a term - noised abroad - that came up a couple of times. I know the people were talking to each other about Jesus. But, of course, I thought about the term in a different way.

    I don't watch the news, but I don't have to because there is so much negativity and disheartening information being noised abroad in our world that it is bringing people down. The suicide rate is going through the roof, we've seen it around here. Doctors are handing out "fix it" pills like crazy. The world is swirling with uncertanty because of the things being noised abroad.

    I can guarantee that the people who could pray with such faith in this chapter were not paying attention to the world's noise. They were focused in on the words and teachings of the Savior.

    I try, but need to keep trying harder to keep my home clearer so the Spirit can reside here. I try, but need to try harder to keep my thoughts clear so the Spirit can stay with me. There is a song that I love called "Slow Fade" and it's main theme is ..... Be careful little ears what you hear. Be careful little eyes what you see. If we want to have the ability to have the Holy Ghost with us and faith to move mountains.... we need to be careful about what is being noised abroad in our own worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading this chapter, I remembered a picture in my daughter's home that illustrated how it might have looked, all were bowed down to worship the Lord. The Savior stood in the center. I don't know how the artist was able to do it, but the Savior standing the midst of a multitude had an attitude of love and humility.

    Today, if anyone would be in that situation, I do not think there would be any humility. The exception would possibly be the First Presidency and the 12 Apositles.

    I find it interesting that the Twelve Disciples that were called, were not referred to as Apostles. Be cause there were Twelve Apostles in Jerusalem!

    A young man pointed that out to me many years ago.

    Even 2000 years ago, there was perfect organization in the Lord's church.

    I

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts