3 Nephi 6

3 Nephi 6

I find myself yelling at the people in my mind as I read, "No, don't do that!  Just be righteous. He's coming in just a few years!" I did the same thing when I watched the Titanic movie.  I know the ending and I watch/read with nervous anticipation.  I just want to yell and say, "You are SO close, stupid!"  (I wonder if the angels ever feel that way about us as they watch, lol)

A few things stuck out: Verse 5: "And now there was nothing in all the land to hinder the people from prospering continually, except they should fall into transgression." (bold, italics and underlined added!)

They could have enjoyed continual peace, prosperity, joy, inspiration, blessings and all else the Lord had in store for them.  It was up to them. It only too 3 short years for the unraveling to begin. First pride and boastings, the social ranks (judging) and the privileges that come from it, and so on.

As soon as they let down their defenses Satan stirred them up to do iniquity (15 and 16), doing whatsoever he desired of them (17).

Many people see obedience to the commandments as losing our ability to choose, giving up our agency.  When, the reality is that when we sin, we lose power to choose and to receive help from above. We are bound by addiction, sorrow, greed, pride, etc, and we give all our power over to Satan who will do whatever he wants with us.  I love how Angie put it the other day "God weeps while Satan laughs."   Then people get mad at God for their condition.

It is sad.  And it is happening in our day, too.

What did did you get out of today's chapter?

TOMORROW: 3 Nephi 7

Comments

  1. This chapter just made me a little sad. People knew the truth and willfully rebeled. I agree, Michelle, it is like watching a tragic movie that you already know the end.

    I understand the mistakes and repentance process. What I don't get is the selfish attitude of people who purposely place themselves above others because of money and status. You are not better than anyone else just because you drive a fancy car, live in a big house, or have money to burn. It just means you have other trials to weather.

    The haves and have nots in this chapter are a simplistic, realistic example of our world today. The example of the converted Lamanites who refused to get caught up in the contention and snarky backbiting is the one I want to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, come on...just a little snarky backbiting? Where's all the fun? Just kidding! Thanks Angie for always posting and sharing your insight. You make me think about things a lot, and I really like that and yes, I will leave you alone about your earrings! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I red this chapter v 18 caused me to ponder. These people knew the will of the Lord and made the choice to rebel. Standing back, I can see the wrong choices that were made.

    For me temptations, are more sneaky. I am not going to list them here because there are too embarassing. But I can list them in my journal :) and work on repenting.

    In v 14 I noted that a "few of Lamanites were converted and remained steadfast and immovable, and were diligent in keeping the commandments of God."
    I wondered why the Nephites in their comfort could not be found steadfast and immovable?

    I hope in my comfort, which is great, I will be found diligent.

    (FYI the fact that we can read this, we are more blessed than over two billion people in the world who cannot read anything at all.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts