3 Nephi 12

3 Nephi 12

This chapter to me is about living a higher standard. The Savior taught the the higher principles of the Sermon on the Mount.  Then he went on the remind them of the commandments that they had been living (in the Law of Moses) and at least 4 times added to the law they already had, saying "But, I say unto you..."

My husband told me today that I hold myself to a really high standard. I do, because I think I am held to a higher standard by a higher power.  The higher standard comes with higher knowledge and teaching that I have received through the gospel.  With understanding comes accountability.

I love the hope in the last two verses, that hope that old things are done away, and all things have become new.  There have been times in my life when I have felt like an "old thing." It is a blessing that through the Atonement I can become new.  I look at my children, especially my youngest who has some pretty significant trials ahead of her, and I hope that it applies to them, to her. That the "old" her will be done away through the power and miracle of the Atonement, and she will become new, whole and healthy.  Oh, how I hope that for her. Then, she can be perfect in Him.  I understand my role as her mom, to provide the best possible environment for the Atonement to make that change in her life, and her soul. The hard part is teaching, hoping, praying, waiting and watching as she makes her own choices. It is the deepest pain I have felt, and yet, it is the strongest of longings, too.

Sorry to be so personal in this one- this chapter was the perfect chapter at the perfect time.

What did you get out of this chapter?


TOMORROW: 3 Nephi 13

Comments

  1. I thought it was interesting that those who believe other's testimonies and choose faith and belief in Christ are blessed more than those who actually saw him. For some reason it just stood out to me.

    And like you said, this chapter is all about living a higher standard. With freedom comes responsibility. The old laws were so specific, like how many steps you could walk on the Sabbath. For us, it's not the number of steps, but the types of activities we choose.

    A higher law is one we really have to stay in tune with the spirit to live. Being meek, humble, charitable, kind..... being a peacemaker and not arguing with others. Listening, obeying and choosing the better part in everything we do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts