Jacob 5:1-28

I'll be honest: I've never really studied Jacob 5, for the same reasons it took me a long to time to really study the words of Isaiah.

1. Because I've been told that it's really hard to understand, so I was intimidated.

2. The other reason- and I am ashamed to admit this- is because I figured that the gist of what Isaiah and Jacob/Zenos were talking about in code has been spelled out to us in latter-day revelation, so why go through all the effort in decoding it myself.

I know, I know.  I need to repent. And I have.

And not only have I repented of that attitude, but after truly being prayerful and studying this chapter, I am overwhelmed at the simplicity and beauty it contains!  I feel much like the Israelites of old that only had to look upon the snake to be healed- but never did because it was too easy.  I have finally looked, and I feel nourished and enlightened.

So- let's get on to it.

First of all, here is the link to the manual that I have used mostly in my studying.  Jacob 5 starts on page 122.

The Allegory of the Olive Tree depicts the gathering, scattering and final gathering of Israel.
On the link above you'll find great resources including definitions of the symbolism, and the breakdown of each section. For a more indepth personal study of this chapter (which I highly recommend) please visit the link, as well as the other links that can be found on the 'Study Helps' page above.

Here, I will be posting just my personal thoughts.  There is so much more regarding the doctrine and other things that I have read and written in my scriptures and heart.

Our reading today is in two parts: Verses 3-14 describe the scattering of Israel, before the time of Christ.  Verses 15-28 describe the Time of Christ.

What touched me as I read these verses today was how much the Lord loves his Olive Tree- us.  He planned, worked, pruned and nourished- all so that He could save the tree.  He stated more than once, "It grievest me that I may lose this tree."

Saving Israel isn't a casual undertaking.  The Lord put his best servant (Joseph Smith) to work in the field.  Then, in verse 15, He says, "Let U go down..."  He worked in the vineyard with His own hands.

The Lord, our Savior, loves Israel- the blessed nation.  He loves us so much that He came down, in the flesh, to live among us, teach us, be an example to us, and ultimately sacrifice Himself for us.

I never realized that was in this chapter!

As I read, the tender love the Savior had for me become apparent.  The work, the planning, the sorrow and the He experiences as He goes about His work and His glory is real.

I am so looking forward to the rest of the chapter!

What did you think/learn today?



Comments

  1. I am going to admit I didn't read this today (I just found your blog and I am working this week on finishing the Book of Mormon so I can start at the beginning this year) but I have wondered why people try to scare us away from the words of Isaiah. Perhaps in the early days of the Church, symbolism was harder to understand. But in this day and age, I think we are a lot more used to interpreting literature (any high school student will have to interpret literature) and especially in the Church where we attend temples rife with symbolism, and our 8 year old children learn about the symbolism of baptism and the sacrament, Mormons are usual pretty familiar with symbolism.

    I loved reading your thoughts on the allegory of the olive tree, and I hope to participate in this blog in the next few weeks once I finish the Book of Mormon.

    What a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca! It'll be great to have you join us!

    I don't think that people tried to scare others away as much as they were just intimidated themselves. I don't know how many times I've said to others, "Oh, Isaiah? I'll read that when I'm older and smarter." Lol.

    I'm no scholar. I couldn't have understood Jacob 5, or the words of Isaiah, without the help of Nephi, Jacob, and especially latter-day scholars who have shared their insights in all these manuals! But, I am happy to report that never again will I dissuade others from reading and studying these chapters. It's been the highlight of my reading this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to your study manual, it's very helpful to have that insight while reading. I realize the parable is about Christ. But I try to apply the scriptures to my own life when ever I can. The main things I got out of reading this morning

    Anything worth having is worth working hard for.

    To explain... a strong testimony is something we have to work for.... studying the scriptures, praying, etc. equate to grafting, pruning, fertilizing, etc. Sometimes we have to prune things out of our life so the good can grow. But we have to work at it, just as they did in the vineyard, to keep it strong and allow it to bear fruit.

    Another example..... relationships.... loving, accepting, patience, and all the "good" and kind words we want to emulate in our interactions with others. But sometimes, there is pruning we must do. Whether that is correcting (pruning) a negative attitude in ourselves or another.... Fertilizing the relationship by taking the opportunities to connect. Giving the person (tree) time to grow and develop before we pass judgement (pruning) on them. Not eternal judgement... meaning.... patience instead of always correcting or fussing with them.

    Which brought up another thought... if we over-fuss and over-prune our children, they cannot grow to the healthy extent they need. Sometimes we need to give them some space to gain strength so they can withstand a pruning.

    For me, I understand the parable as it applies to the Savior, the gathering of His people, etc. Maybe not to a scholarly, in-depth level... but today,for me, this part of the chapter gave a completely different perspective and reminders for my own life than what the original story was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts