Enos

Enos

There is so much in this chapter!  But the theme that hit me today was that of parenthood. 

We learn in the first verse that Jacob's effect on his son Enos was great.  Enos may not have agreed with his father or followed him in his younger years, but what he did know what that his dad was a just man.  He knew his dad was a teacher, and he often spoke to his son of the things pertaining to the gospel- even if Enos didn't always seem like he was listening or believing.

He knew his dad followed the example of the Lord in the way that he nurtured and admonished him.

He remembered the words his father spoke of, particularly about eternal life, and the joy of the saints.

And so, Enos, as an older young man, was alone in the woods when all of what he knew about his father sunk deep into his heart. This pricked his heart to repentance.

How different would Enos' story been different if he dad never taught him? Or if he wasn't trustworthy, or loving or anything other than who and what Jacob was?

I don't know- but it is clear that Jacob had a tremendous impact in his son.

That makes me feel better when I am trying to teach a Family Home Evening lesson and my kids are joking around, or when it's time for prayer and they grumble, or read scriptures and they complain.  I know that even if they don't always agree, or even believe what I do, that they will know that I love God, that I want eternal life, that I have a testimony and that is where I find my joy.

Just a few verses later Enos shows his relationship with his Heavenly Father.  He came to Him and sincerely repented.  He was forgiven, and because Enos knew his Father could not lie, his guilt was swept away.  What a sweet and tender relationship they must have had, too.

I want to be able to nurture and admonish my children in the Lord.  To me that means to parent with love, patience and eternal intentions.  Sometimes I lose patience and lose sight of the eternal perspective.  I know that's something I need to work on, and this chapter has helped motivate me even more.

What did you think/learn today?


Comments

  1. Those were some good thoughts there about parenthood.

    I loved the theme of faith, and specifically faith in Jesus Christ in this chapter.
    Faith can be such a powerful thing. Enos inspired me to have more faith.

    I also loved the last verse when he talked about being with Christ after he dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that too! Thank you so much for always sharing your thoughts with me. You've got great insight :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts