Mormon 6

Mormon 6

Another chapter that just fills my heart with sadness.

I found it interesting, though, that in verse 7 he says that the wicked fear death. I know in previous chapters of the Book of Mormon it has been said and shown that the righteous do not fear death (the people of Ammon.)

I find this interesting, and am happy to be in good company, for I was talking to my husband just the other day about death.  I do not fear it.  Though I am not fond of the thought of pain (most deaths are accompanied with some level of pain and discomfort) the thought of succeeding here and returning home is an exciting one to me.  Having only a glimpse of what is in store is enough for me to have hope and even anticipation for the next phase in my life.  I'm not, however, in a hurry to leave this one.  But, I am not afraid to die.  On the contrary, I see it as the gateway to further knowledge and growth.

Mormon uses very heavy words in this chapter:  awful, terror, anguish.  How heart sick he must have been to witness the last of his people- nearly a quarter million of them, all killed but for 24 or so. I cannot imagine.

I know that my heart hurts for my loved ones when they make mistakes and go through trials, but I cannot fathom terror, pain, destruction and grief on this level.  My understanding, sympathy, respect and admiration for Mormon and his son Moroni cannot help but grow.  I am also inspired further to stand strong and fight the good fight even if those I love choose not to.

What part of this chapter got into you today?

TOMORROW: Suit Yourself Saturday

Comments

  1. I think the wicked fear death because they have no hope, no faith, nothing to look forward to. The righteous have peace in knowing this life is only a passing phase in our immortality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In v 6 Mormon refers to the records which were sacred. The term sacred is very important to me. I don't think we "collectively" appreciate how valuable to our descendants, our journals will be.

    I have a copy of my Great-grandmother's journal. He husband died 3 months before their 12th child was born. Her trials were very different than mine, but her faith is an example to me.

    While her husband was on a two year mission, she records that she followed the promptings of the Holy Ghost and was able to get the cows out of the corn field and save the crop. I can do better following the spiritual promptings that come to me.

    She also records how difficult it was to prepare to live in a polygamous marriage but was willing to be obedient. She bore her testimony to her family, of the importance of following the prophets. I can do better following the guidance and direction that comes from out modern day prophets.

    My husbands family are not members of our church, but have a strong christian belief. His father was at twin, there were nine total in the family. His grandfather died when his father was fourteen. I wish I had more information about how the family survived. (I am researching) I learned on Tuesday, that as a stone cutter, Bob's grandfather helped build the capital building in Olympia.
    More examples for me of strength. Very cool for my children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living Waters by LeAnnSeptember 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM

    I am with you on your thoughts today. I do love the prophet Mormon and Monori. I can't imagine going through all the wars and bloodshed that occured in this time. To watch a whole civilization be destroyed and have only 24 people survived is astounding to me.
    I enjoy your thoughts on the scriptures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LeAnn, I just wanted to thank you for visiting my blog so much and all of your comments. You are an inspired lady! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts