Mormon 2

Mormon 2

This chapter covers 22 years of Mormon's life.  He started leading the Nephite Army at the age of 15.  When he was 21 he lead a group of more than 40,000 into battle.  What an amazing young man he must have been.

My son is 15.  I thought about him this morning as I read this. He isn't called to fight in physical wars, but the war with Satan is real.  How difficult it must be for the youth today to go out into the world that has so much evil and temptation in it.  As a parent, I pray for him (and my girls) that he will withstand. But, my heart also aches for him when he struggles or gets hurt.

When I was younger I thought that parenting was difficult due to the shifting of one's focus and energy to another, the crying and bickering, the showerless days and sleepless nights. But, now that my children are older, making choices for themselves and growing into mini-adults, as they shift from doing what they are told to doing what they want (which, for the most part is good) I am experiencing things I have never felt, nor expected.

I pray earnestly that they will listen to the things I teach them, I sorrow for them when they bring misery and pain upon themselves through poor choices, my heart physically ached for them when they struggle and hurt, my prayers are now plead with the Father for them.

Mormon must have felt similar feelings for the people he loved.  He must have, for he loved them and lead them, despite their weaknesses and choices.  He hoped for them and prayed for them, and his heart ached for them.

I do have high hopes for my children.  Mormon didn't for his people.  I feel for him and admire him all the more for his faith and efforts.

What part of this chapter got into you today?

TOMORROW: Mormon 3

Comments

  1. The part that got into me was when Mormon thought the people were repenting. But they really were not. It's the same when some is sorry they got caught, not sorry for what they have done. They even apologize, but go right back to doing what they have always done and not making the real, personal changes they need to make.

    The people were so wicked that they were bringing down huge trials upon themselves.Then they cursed God for it.

    How many times do we see this same type of apology-no-change-behavior in our own lives, our family, our community, our nation? Just the curse of thievery alone.... it really blows me away. Our communities are struggling with that curse right now and if people would repent and stop....that alone would make a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts