Ether 1

Ether 1

Prayer is the lesson of the day for me. Three times the brother of Jared cried unto the Lord, and three times he received an answer to his prayers.

There are a few things that caught my attention, though.  It was interesting and valuable to note that the brother of Jared's prayers were very specific, and each prayer was answered specifically.   It think sometimes we get caught up in the, "bless me to have a good day," or "I pray for missionary opportunities," and other well-intended but vague things.

I remember once my kids had the stomach flu.  One by one they fell.  I prayed that I would remain well so I could take care of them.  My prayer was answered and I didn't get the flu - - - until they were all better, and then it knocked me down for two days.  I often wonder if had been more specific and asked that I would be spared completely from the flu if things would have been different, lol.

I also noticed that in the end the Lord blessed the brother of Jared and his entire extended family and friends because "this long time have ye cried unto me."  We are promised that when we pray for righteous things we will receive them. It seems to me, though, that continual prayer unlocks the doors for blessings we don't ask for because we might not even be aware of the possibilities.  That is a very exciting notion to me.

I often wonder what kind of man old Mahonri was and why Jared didn't just pray himself.  I think I'll do some extra reading the next few days and see what else I can learn about him.

What part of this chapter got into you today?

FRIDAY: Ether 2

Comments

  1. No great insights from me today. I am working on recognizing an answer when I hear it. Even if it is that "stupor of thought" which is still an answer. I do agree that praying specifically is important, we just need to be careful what we ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The relationship between Jared and his brother is interesting to me, I have wondered a long time why Jared needed to ask his brother to do the praying.
    Was it a division of responsibility, did Jared not feel worthy to pray for his people, Why?

    I hope that I will never feel unworthy to kneel before the Lord and ask for the blessings that I feel I need. Yet, there have been times that I, prideful daughter that I am, have not humbled myself to go before the Lord.

    I am blessed when my prayers are specific. I need to be willing like Mahonri to pray "this long time".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts