"Mothers Who Know" Julie B. Beck

"Mothers Who Know"  Julie B. Beck

--------------------------------------------------

I remember when this talk came out.  She actually received some criticism because of her comments!  It pained my heart to see how many women misunderstood, or couldn't embrace the truths that Sister Beck shared.

She brings up many good points.  I love the fact that mothers are teachers.  That is something I have tried to do- teach my children. I want them to learn the gospel and the scriptures from me, in the home.

Getting married was like putting a mirror in front my myself: I looked at myself differently, and saw weaknesses and strengths I didn't know I had.  Having children is like having a magnified full-length mirror  in front of me, with teenage critics to help point things out.

There is so much I want to do with my kids, for my kids. I used to focus on routines, processes, chore charts and schedules to provide my kids with what I thought they needed.  I'll admit, I've had some really great ideas, and have initiated a lot of wonderful things: morning devotional, goal charts, etc.  But, I'll also be the first to admit that my follow-through is poor.   So, despite great intentions and beginnings, most of my amazing ideas don't last.  That's not the best thing for my kids.

Then I realized as my kids got older that it wasn't things I could 'do' for them as much as it was who I should 'be' for them.  That's what this article talks about- things mother's should be.

Some women cringe at that statement: what women SHOULD be.  But, perhaps they shouldn't be so proud.  The Lord has called leaders in the church to do just that: lead us.  They tell us what we should be doing. She wasn't saying anything that the Lord hasn't asked us to do.

Sorry- off my pedestal now.

I love learning about what I should be: nurturing, honoring covenants, a leader, a teacher, frugal, immovable. I loved this article.  I know that as I follow Sister Beck's words, I will be a better mother- a mother who knows.


Comments

  1. I so appreciated that talk! It was a good reminder on so many levels. One of the hard lessons of motherhood in my life right now is "a mother knows when to keep her mouth shut."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts