Alma 60

Alma 60

In the first verse it says that Moroni "again" wrote Pahoran.  I was curious at the first time, and did a little research.  It was in Alma 51:15, where Moroni sent a petition to Pahoran asking the he could have permission to bring get rid of the dissenters.  Nothing of great importance- just interesting for me to note.

Also of note, when Moroni wrote this letter, it had marked 12 years since he first took the head of the Nephite army, at the age of 25. That makes him 37 at the time of this writing. (He would die just 6 years later, at the age of 43) He had been fighting civil and national wars for 12 years. No wonder he was so passionate.



Wow- that's all I can say.

No- I can always say more :)

Captain Moroni was not a man I would want to cross.  He had an unwavering testimony and endless passion and courage.  He did not fear men, nor did he want power.  He would give up his life for the fight for good.

But- he also jumped to conclusions. This is a scathing letter to Pahorhan, assuming all the worst things about him; even threatening to usurp his power and kill him if necessary.  He wrote some pretty strong words.  To me, they reflect his passion for his cause and his intolerance for those that don't fight with him.  Truly he understood that if you with the Lord, you are against him.

These days we soft-peddle it in the sake of tolerance. It's OK if people do what they want- as long as they aren't hurting others.  They have their agency.  But, really, the reality it that even today - or especially today- if you are not with God, you are against God.

This goes beyond Mormonism.  It is not an organized religion (though we do claim to hold the necessary authority and covenants, etc).  We are activly at war with Satan. If you are not fighting him, if you are sitting back while others are serving, teaching, preaching and doing, then you are fighting with the adversary.

There is not in between in Moroni's eyes, or God's.  In Revelation 3:16 the Lord Himself says: "So then because though are lukewarm, and neither cold not hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."  This speaks of those who remain still in apathy towards the Lords cause.  They are almost worse than those that actively wage war against the Lord, because they sit back, passionless and unmotivated in their own world, content to watch others struggle.

If you are not actively with Him, you are against Him.

Pahoran's perceived inactivity looked like apathy to Moroni. This is what set him off.  Compare the tone of this letter to the one written to Ammoron in Alma 54. I would argue that Moroni's letter to Pahoran was longer, full of more passion, disappointment and threatenings- because he thought he was apathetic. Maybe he was seeking power, or whatever, but in Moronis eyes, there was work to be done and Pahoran wasn't doing it.  And because of his perceived lack of caring and action, thousands were dying.


Moroni was filled with passion about his God and his country, and to see other's sit idly by, passionless and motionless, was more than he could take.


A quote I once read was, "Passionless is vulgar."  That was how Moroni felt.



A great principle Moroni taught and lived was the principle of cleaning your inward vessel first (23).  Take care of what's inside and the rest will work out.  The start of the major wars began in the inward vessel of the Nephites.  When that was cracked by the king-men (Alma 51)  and torn apart by the Nephite Amalickiah and his brother Ammoron.

If the inner vessel of the Nephites would have been sufficiently mended, the subsequent 18 years of war could have been avoided.

Anway- you can tell I love this chapter.  I could to on and on, but I've got to get and and start my day!   What did you think/learn today?







Comments

  1. ummm... ya skipped 59. So in the spirit of fairness and based on the fact that my day has officially reached the point of instigating a full-blown migraine... I am going to save 60 for tomorrow. BTW- Don't actually need to read it, cuz your explanation was FABulous! I will read and comment on 59, so it doesn't feel left out. Besides, it's totally shorter.

    Vs 12... They doubted and marveled because of the wickedness of the people.

    Sometimes I feel exactly that way! I have doubt and marveling all mixed into the same pot over numerous things! It's kind of like.... is this for real? But it is for real. Then you can't help but shake your head and... marvel... wow. I think Moroni and his captains were feeling some of that when they were looking, not only at the Lamanites, but the people they were trying to save.

    And then... vs 13 "becoming angry with the government because of their indifference concerning the freedom of their country." Not sure what I could add to that at this point... except - welcome to America. Yup... doubt and marveling.. all mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies... you didn't skip 59. It was the other day when I had to leave early and didn't get to read... and labeled as 60. Thought that it must've been a long/great chapter to cover it twice. SO I am the one catching up... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I did that! Thanks for the catch- I fixed it :)

    I'm sorry you have a migraine! That stinks. Let me know if you need anything...cookies, a hug, whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey the pictures at the top have changed again since I was on here last. I really like the ones you have picked out. :)

    I really liked verse 36 of this chapter - "I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honour of the world, but for the glory of my God and the freedom and welfare of my country." How many people today could say that? Not many people in high places like Moroni, that's for sure. He was pretty harsh in his methods, but his heart was in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your thoughts...that's all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts