Alma 52

Alma 52

Thus far the Nephites had taken the defensive approach, holding their grounds, protecting and strengthening what's their's. But, in this chapter, Captain Moroni goes for it.  He saw that it would not be a fair fight, that the Lamanites were prepared and dangerous. So, he took to the offense.

As I read about those who fought for their freedoms today, again, I can't help but was patriotic.

But, I wrote a lot about that yesterday, so today I took the spiritual angle again.

The Adversary is not sitting back and just waiting for us to give in.  He is actively on the prowl, finding ways to break through our strongholds.  Often we gird our loins and prepare for the onslaught of temptation, etc.

But, fighting with the Adversary is not, and never will be, a fair fight.

I know that I need to take offensive approach.  How do I do that spiritually? For me, defensive is protecting myself by staying true to the covenants I've made, being mindful and prayerful, reading my scriptures and staying close to God.  Being offensive means that I step out of myself and help others; strengthen the armies of the Lord, the sisters around me. I get out of my comfort zone and do community service, chat with folks I don't know about good things, walk out of inappropriate movies, reach out to others. It also means accepting all callings that are extended to me and magnifying them to the best of my ability. And, when I go to the temple, I take people with me.

To me, defensive is a personal thing, but offensive is outside of myself- strengthening the whole army and fighting together.

Happy 4th everyone.


Comments

  1. What struck me.... Vs 33. Jacob had an "unconquerable" spirit.

    My husband and I were having a conversation the other day about reactivation, missionary work, saving people, etc. And this is not intended to be negative... but just a realization that there are some people who do not want to be saved, who are not willing to change....

    Ultimately, we can try, but there are still people who have an "unconquerable" spirit, a hard heart, a willingness to continue in their ways without God. Until such time as God pricks their heart and causes a softening there, we are not going to change them, reactivate them, or get them to stop sinful behaviors.

    I try to gravitate to the labels of servant's heart, humble heart, kind heart, gentle spirit... because that is what I want out of my own life.

    But we cannot forget nor can we underestimate the power of Satan and his stronghold on those who already have hardened their hearts against truth. The spirit of God is removed and they are left to their sinful, sometimes hateful, devices which usually overflow onto others. Like Moroni, sometimes we must recognize and then fight to defend from these types of people, all the time keeping ourselves in check and not allowing a hateful or spiteful spirit develop in our own heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts