Alma 55

Alma 55

Wine is bad for you.

Good message, but I'm glad there was more to this chapter than just that :)

A few things stuck out to me. The first was Moroni's restraint.  He was surely a man of passion. He felt deep emotion: Love for the Lord, his country, family and liberties.  Being a man of passion, he was also prone to deep anger and frustration.  We know he was angry in the last chapter when he wrote his epistle to Ammoron, and in verse 1 we read that he was even angrier.

But, he never let his emotions get the best of him.

He was deliberate in the action he took- finding a way to retrieve the Nephite prisoners without any bloodshed.  And, in when he had the chance to kill, he refrained.  He was a man of bridled passions.  I really admire that.

A theme in this chapter is the power of perspective.  Because the Nephites kept their eyes on the Lord, they were able to see clearly and avoid traps (31) and were kept safe.

In my life, when I keep my priorities in the eternal realm, I am able to see the snares of the Adversary and avoid them. I feel wiser and protected.

What did you think/learn today?

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Comments

  1. I appreciate the example of Moroni and his self restraint. Lashing out in anger really doesn't accomplish as much as we would hope. When angry, if it would feel good to do it/say it, don't. Moroni was an example of that because even when angry, he still took the time to think things through and make a rational, righteous decision.

    I feel blessed when I am reading a chapter and some kind of inspiration or confirmation comes along which has nothing to do with the scripture verses themselves. In vs 32-32 they remembered the Lord first in their dealings and then they were cautious because of the potential poison.

    While nothing to do with Lamanites and poisoned wine - these verses applied to me this morning as a reminder to always remember the Lord and His plan for me first - then - to be cautious as I go forward thoughout the day. Not because of literal poison, but those little doses of "poison" in the form of "too much to do" which stress me out. When I allow "stress" to overcome me, it's poison to my spirit.I get cranky and impatient and physically worn down or end up with a headache. So for me, forgetting to check in with the Lord as I go through my day... poison for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a post on what I learned from Alma 55, which you may like:

    http://scriptoriumblogorium.blogspot.com/2011/02/lessons-from-alma-55-changed-loyalties.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts