Helaman 3

Helaman 3

The Nephites were an organized, civilized and industrious people. They had a shipping industry, a logging industry, they built cement building, textiles, etc. They had temples, organized religions, prophets, church meetings.   They lived in large cities and were quite prolific and adventurous.


27-30: Ahhhhhh- beautiful verses of hope and doctrine! An oasis in the sea of war and treachery! "The gate of heaven is open unto all..."  I love that statement. We discuss this a lot in my Gospel Principles class. Salvation isn't available only to those that are close to perfect, it is offered to any that would come to unto God through the Savior. Salvation isn't only limited to those that are blessed to hear it in this life, either.  Genealogy and temple work is not only important, but necessary for the growth and salvation of those that have gone before.  The gospel truly is perfect, in it's teachings, principles and plan.

It's nice to see the Nephites able to experience peace and joy after so many years of war, terror, loss, heartache, etc. It was a time for families to reunite and grow and for people to be blesses and be thankful.  I look back at my life and can see how the trials ebb and flow around times of peace and prosperity.  For me, it has been the perfect blend of difficulty, growth, stretching, learning, tears and joy.

There were trials I didn't think I could overcome, and blessing I didn't feel I deserved. But I know that God loves me, and if I look to Him in all that I do, then all those trials will be dedicated for my good.


Verse 35 is the goal: To live in obedience and humility, growing firmer in my faith in Christ unto the fulfilling of my soul with joy and consolation- so much so that my very heart will be purified and sanctified. It says in the scriptures that we should come to detest even the thought of sinning. I wonder if this is an effect of a purified and sanctified heart; to have no desire to sin against God.  I think so.

I also think there would be a closeness with Him. I consider the heart a conduit to the Lord. The cleaner, clearer, more purified and sanctified it is, the stronger and more pure the communication with Him would be.

What a beautiful time for them.  Sad that they allowed pride to ruin it.

What did you think/learn today?

Comments

  1. No magnificent and profound thoughts from me today. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many people in the Book of Mormon named their children Nephi and Lehi. There are quite a few. Both very good names of course. I think it gives them incentive to be better people. Comparable to the children named Joseph and Hyrum in the church in these days. Wonder if Helaman had any daughters.

    There are some lovely verses in this chapter. I liked how verse 29 talked about the Word of God being quick and powerful, and able to divide asunder ALL the cunning snares of the devil. Also liked the part in verse 35 where it says they became firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the FILLING their souls with JOY. The Holy Ghost really does fill our hearts with joy the more and more we strengthen our testimonies. Its a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts