Moroni 7:1-19

Moroni 7:1-19

The work and words of Mormon have been so valuable to millions, but I wonder how much more valuable and cherished they were by his son, who, all alone and hunted by the Lamanites, had his father's words to comfort him. My guess is that they had special meaning, and Moroni turned to his father's words often.

Here again, we read about fruit (we read yesterday about the 'product' or fruit of the condition of our hearts.)

It is not enough to have good intentions alone.  And it is not enough to have good works alone. One cannot be without another- or it is not counted unto him for righteousness (7).

These verses are not so much about the condition and intent of the saints, (he already established in verses 3 & 4 that he assumes we are peaceable followers of Christ) but those of whom we may not know.

Verse 16 is the key to judge good s. evil. We are all given the light of Christ that we may understand the difference: if it persuades you to do good, it's of Christ.  That's pretty simple.

Too simple? Not really- not in the world that we live in today. There are so many things pulling us in so many directions. There are things that we deem as good that pull us away from Christ (hobbies, work, friends). It's important that we continually see that light of Christ, that we can be aware and recognize the things that bring us closer to Him, or point us in the other direction.

Comments

  1. Hey Michelle, Just wanted to let you know that I have still been reading the chapters, and your posts, even though I haven't made any comments in awhile. I find reading while I eat my bowl of cereal in the morning is a great time for me. And we are almost at the end of the book now! Ether was so depressing with all the violence, but Moroni is starting to get a little more inspiring now.

    Talking about things pulling us away from Christ. I always wonder when I get to judgement day if God is going to say - "you should have read your scriptures more instead of watching tv, or going on facebook." lol, I know it sounds silly, but I always wonder if I am spending enough time doing spiritual things. Moderation in all things applies to life as well as diet I guess.

    Anyhow, thanks for all your interesting blog comments through the year. I've enjoyed following along and it has strengthened my testimony of the BOM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The subject of judging has always been rather touchy to lots of people. I appreciate the way it is laid out in these verses. We have to make judgement calls all the time.

    It made me think about the recent elections. We, as a country, should have been looking at the fruits of the people who were running to govern us and make our decision based on that. In some cases, that didn't happen. We still have decisions to make now, are we going to do the right thing and be informed? Or stick our heads in the sand and say "that won't happen here."

    It's hard for me sometimes because I am required by my job to make snap judgements about people. Are they lying? Being truthful? Is there something else going on they are hiding? I'd much rather believe all people have good intentions and are honest. But that's just not the case.

    We don't have to be mean or spiteful about it, but we have to start looking at people with clearer vision. The gulf between those on the Lord's side and those hanging out in the great and spacious building is becoming wider and wider. If we are not careful and vigilant, we might let go of the rod and get lost in the darkness.

    For me, when people look at me and make their judgement calls, I want them to see good fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with the difference between judging and making a judgement call. I don't care how kind a lovely the soul is of the man wearing a dark jacket, hunched over in a dark ally. I'm going to make the judgement call that the probability is that he is a creeper, and I'd best stay away.

      Sometimes I don't want to find out what the fruit is! Lol!

      Delete
  3. How weird! Michelle, you know how I said that your posts weren't coming through by email anymore, well they all just came through today in one message, right back from when they stopped coming at Mormon Chapter 7! Crazy! Wonder if it means they are going to start coming daily again now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts