Moroni 6

Moroni 6

Of baptism, Bruce R. McConkie said, "Before baptism, the seeker of salvation believes in Christ and gains a knowledge of the plan of redemption, of mercy and of repentance. He feels in his heart that through our Lords' atoning sacrifice man can be reconciled to God, and he desires through repentance, to rid himself from the grasp of justice and find mercy in the arms of the Lord."

I love that quote.

Being forgiven every time one repents with real intent (8) is mentioned before in the scriptures. How grateful I am for that- because heaven knows (as does my family and friends!) I have need for forgiveness time and time again!

But the one thing that struck me this morning was in verse 1. It says: ...and they were not baptized save they brought forth fruit meet that they were worthy of it."

I had always kind of lumped that verse in with the second one, that talks about having a broken heart and contrite spirit- but it isn't talking about that. That is a condition of that heart and spirit. The 'fruit' is a product. And the product or 'fruit' which was required before baptism was worthiness.

It was required back then - and today - that only must you have a testimony of the gospel and the Savior, and have a broken hearth and contrite spirit, and repent.   All of these things are internal- reflected in our minds and souls.

But, there is an external component to it as well, and that's the fruit. We must physically change our habits, and stop those practices that deem us unworthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost. Only then can we receive it as a constant companion and be cleansed (4).

I think, in theory, I knew that- but I had never noticed it here in this chapter!

I love it when I find nuggets of knowledge like that!  :)

Comments

  1. I had lots of insightful comments rolling around in my brain... but I deleted them and just want to make one point... The bottom line-it is always about the fruits of our labors. Before. After. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that before, too! I love your bottom line.

    I am trying to figure out what I'm going to do next year for my reading. I mean, I'm going to still do the blog- I have learned so much as I've studied this way. But, I don't know if I'm going to give such a commentary on each chapter (I feel like sometimes I'm just retelling what happened- but I'm not that smart, so it helps me), or if I'll just pick on verse out of the chapter to focus on, or a bottom line of the whole chapter. I don't know.

    I do know that I tend to think and write a lot- and I want to try to streamline my focus and learning. If that's possible! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't fuss about it. LOL. If you just write what you feel inspired about, that is what will be the best. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts