Alma 36

Alma 36

Because of Angie's comments yesterday, the word "words" in the first verse caught my eye, just how important words are.  Alma takes it to the next level in the next verse when he says "I would that ye should do I have done." Not just listen to me, but follow me.

As a parent that is so hard. I want to live my life in a way that I can say, I want you to do as I have done.  For the most part I can, but there are many things I've done that I would rather my children skip altogether.   Luckily we have a Savior who is perfect and can say that without fail.

Alma's testimony that God will support those that have faith in Him through their trials (vs 3 and verse 27) is touching.  He teaches his son through example.  He tells them the principle: (3) Whosever puts their trust in God shall be supported in their trials.  Then, he backs it up with personal testimony: (27) And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind.   The he ends with hope and faith in that principle (27) and I do put my trust in him, and he will deliver me.

I also was moved by the stark contrast between the exquisite bitter pain of sin and the exquisite sweet joy of repentance that Alma spoke of.  He painted such a beautiful and vivid picture of the vast chasm between the two. Because of the word (There it is again, Ang!-vs 26) Alma was able to bring many to the sweet taste of that joy.

I love his testimony of work.  He worked endlessly according to his testimony and faith, the the Lord gave his great joy in the fruit of his labors. (25)

What a great chapter!

Comments

  1. I can tell you that my biggest inspiration this morning is that when you are rushed and in a foul mood, it is really difficult to feel the spirit of the scriptures! I will just have to rely on the promise that (vs3) if I trust in God, he will be supportive and at some point today, I will be lifted back up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really was a beautiful chapter. You can truly feel the spirit in Alma's testimony. I know that many who have read it will have been touched.

    I love to picture the scene that he describes in verse 22 - God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God. My soul longs to be there too, just as he did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts