Alma 25

Alma 25

Not that I rejoice in anyone's demise, but, come on- who doesn't root for the bad guy to get what's coming for him?  

Onto a more spiritual note: in the scriptures we read how the Jews had Jesus right there, but didn't see him as their Savior.  They 'missed the mark.'  The Nephites (including the converted Lamanites) saw the law of Moses for what it was, a precursor to the Savior.  They knew that while they were 'doing' the things the Law required, they were still 'looking' to the Savior to come.  They weren't distracted.  They didn't miss the mark.

As I go about fulfilling my calling, visiting teaching, teaching my children and all my other service in the church and at home, it sometimes gets overwhelming. I have to keep myself in check, so I don't 'miss the mark.' The purpose for all of these things it to keep our minds and efforts on the Savior and His Atonement, and its effect in my life and those around me.

I've seen some latter-day saints get caught up in numbers, appearances and such, missing the mark. It can happen- I just want to make sure it doesn't to me.

What did you think/learn today?

Comments

  1. Two things....

    First. I often recoil at all the fighting, death-by-fire, bloodshed and blatant evil I keep reading about in the BOM. But this morning, a comment someone made came back to my mind. "We do not take evil at it's word." She made this comment a couple of months ago during a discussion we were having about current and past history in our country. This morning, her comment rang true to me. We DON'T take evil at it's word. The horrors of the BOM are a warning to us today. Pay attention. Yes, things CAN get that bad. True evil is something we think won't happen here, to us, in our country.

    Which brings me to my second-

    In verses 15-16... They kept the law of Moses. Not because they thought that was salvation, but because it served "to strengthen their faith in Christ" - unto salvation. They kept the law to help them retain hope, faith and the spirit.

    Yesterday I was mulling over a situation going on in our family. As I thought of the timeline associated with it, so many of today's issues are directly related to when the the "law" was not being followed. Then came the loss of faith and hope followed by actions and attitudes which go against the spirit and the foundation of what is right.

    I thought about how some people think the gospel plan is so restrictive. How we "can't" do this or that. But that is really the opposite of truth. When we follow the gospel plan. When we choose to follow the 'law' it really gives us immense amounts of freedom. For this... I am grateful.

    If we take evil at it's word and understand where things can go if the gospel is not followed it can help us be better prepared to face what may come. Looking to the Lord and following the "law" helps us keep things simple in our world. Or at least it does in mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts