2 Nephi 6


Chapter 6

Jacob recounts Jewish history: The Babylonian captivity and return; the ministry and crucifixion of the Holy One of Israel; the help received from the Gentiles; and the Jews’ latter-day restoration when they believe in the Messiah. About 559–545 B.C.

--------------------------------------

Oh no.  Isaiah. The name that I have feared since I was a child.  Just kidding.

Seriously, though, Isaiah is hard to eat- like eating saltine crackers without water.  So, when I study Isaiah, or the upcoming chapters in the Book of Mormon that mirror the OT Isaiah, I use the OT Institute Teacher's Manual 2 to help clarify and be my water with my crackers. It's been enormously helpful.

A while back we read that Laman and Lemuel murmured because they knew no their God.  In verse 4 Jacob says that he teaches the words of Isaiah "for your sakes, that ye may learn and glorify the name of your God."

When I was younger I had the mindset that I really didn't need to understand Isaiah, because everything I need to know is taught in much more palatable terms via church lessons and modern day prophets.  So, until a few years ago, I'm sad to admit that I didn't put much effort into studying Isaiah.

But after I decided to learn the words of Isaiah, I came to realize that he is a lot like me- speaking in allegories, similes and visual examples and relations. His words can be highly confusing, but they were very applicable to the people of his time, and quite beautiful.

So, I am excited about the upcoming chapters where we can read Isaiah's words together!  Jacob was, too.  And Nephi loved the words of Isaiah as well.

Interesting note: Book of Mormon prophets quoted 414 verses and paraphrased another 34 - 35% of Isaiah.

Sorry- on to the chapter!

I love verse 7 "for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me."  Paul echos that sentiment when he says in Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel..."   I stand with them and am not ashamed of my testimony and what I believe.  I feel like I am in good company.

President Benson said, "Let us never be ashamed to of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Let us never be afraid to do what is right.  Let us trust in God and keep His commandments...I know, and so do you who have testimonies of the divinity of his work, that without God's help we cannot succeed, but with His help we can accomplish anything He asks us to do."

Wow- in just a handful of verses the Saviors life, his death, the Apostasy, the Restoration and the latter days are covered.  That's great writing.

I love to see my day recorded in scriptures. I've mentioned before, it makes me feel like I am a part of something bigger- eternal- a well-thought out plan that has been executed flawlessly.  It fills me with purpose and direction.

And of course, I love any scripture about the Savior- especially when it is His own words.

What did you think/learn today?


Comments

  1. Well, to be honest. My thought is short today... or my thoughts are short. I am not sure. I can relate to Jacob's great anxiety for his people. Also, he taught with diligence, but that doesn't mean the people listened. I am not really sure most people mature past the teenager stage. Meaning.... a parent or leader can teach, preach, exhort, plead, cry, yell, stomp there feet and even get in a few "I told you so's".... and still not be heard or obeyed. It does cause great anxiety, because you don't want to see those you love suffer. But, good grief, people can sure bring a lot of suffering down on themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts