2 Nephi 17


Chapter 17

Ephraim and Syria wage war against Judah—Christ will be born of a virgin—Compare Isaiah 7. About 559–545 B.C.

---------------------------

Today was much better.  Thank goodness for Angie and her comment yesterday!  I went back and reread the chapter with a different perspective and learned something new :)

I'm actually reading the Old Testament, too, and happen to be on Isaiah 7, so I am getting my OT and BOM reading done at the same time!  It's quite handy!

Of course today I'm going to comment on verses 14-16.  It's 5 days before Christmas, and here we are reading a prophecy of the very thing we are celebrating, written thousands and thousands of years  before.  How cool is that? A lot of things are hard to understand, but the importance of birth and life of the Savior isn't.

I was telling my primary kids on Sunday just how important He is.  Their eye became huge when I told them that he was so important that they restarted counting the years after he was born. They thought that was pretty awesome!

Anyway, what did you think/learn today?


Comments

  1. Yes, doing my scripture study at almost 1 am. It's an odd time for me, I am really more of an 0800 kind of scripture study-er. But it's been a busy, sometimes crazy 19+ hour day so far and I have nothing better to do with my brain.

    There were two things that caught my attention, beyond the whole "reason for the season" part.... the first was the description of their hearts turning like the wind blows the trees. That created an amazing mental picture for me. I was outside quite a bit today and watched the tiniest breezes turn the leaves and bend the branches- just as the verse describes. It is that little whispering which can turn our hearts towards God. It really doesn't take much, we just have to listen.

    The second is not quite so profound. It was near the end of the chapter talking about briars and thorns.... Just saying that I am grateful I wasn't the one having to trudge through them.... having to pick the thorns out of my dear husband's hands was hard enough. I completely understand why they are a torment to man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In v 4 it states."take heed and be quiet; fear not,"

    I love that.
    Too many times I heed not (hear is a synonym to heed) if I am quiet then I can "hear".

    Fear is replaced by peace.

    "fear not" seems like a command, following "be quiet".
    I think that is when the HG testifies to my Soul, when I am quiet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts