2 Nephi 18


Chapter 18

Christ will be as a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense—Seek the Lord, not peeping wizards—Turn to the law and to the testimony for guidance—Compare Isaiah 8. About 559–545 B.C

-------------------------

I use supplemental manuals to help me with Isaiah.  As I read the chapter, then the manual, I was struck by verse  17: "I will wait upon the Lord...."

Elder Robert D Hales said about this: "As we put our faith and trust in the Lord, we must battle our pain day by day and sometimes hour by hour, even moment by moment; but in the end, we understand that marvelous counsel given to the Prophet Joseph Smith as he struggled with his pain of feeling forgotten and isolated in Liberty jail. 


'My son, peace be unto thy soul thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thous endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high, thou shalt triumph over all they foes.'


"My dear brothers and sisters, when pain, tests, and trials come in life, draw near to the Savior. 'Wait upon the Lord,...and look for him. They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk , and not faint.  Healing comes in the Lord's time and the Lord's way.  Be patient."

It was just what I needed to hear today.  Sometimes I can get lost and distracted by the trials and inconveniences in my life.  I get impatient and frustrated with people around me, and with the Lord.  It was a nice reminder to be patient in my life, afflictions and joys, and trust Him that everything can be for my good, if I draw near to my Savior.

What did you think/learn today?

Comments

  1. v 20 states that "if they speak not according to his word, it is because there is no light in them".

    Listening to the apostles I always feel like there is light in what they are saying, there is " light" in them.
    I feel that they are imparting their "light" to us.

    That "light" truly sustains me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked verse 20 also, I love it when the scriptures talk about light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was struck by the descriptions in the last few verses of people who aren't living a Christ-centered life. There is no light in them. They pass through this life hungry, fretting and looking upward cursing God. Then look down and see only trouble which drives them into darkness.

    I see dozens of people walk by my house every day - those with a chipper step and those with a hang-dog look, not judging anyone's spirituality here, because we all have bad days, but you can see in someone's countenance how their day is going. But if we are always looking down and only raising our eyes to gripe at God.... what kind of life will we have? Are we watching where we are going? Are we taking time to let the sun fall on our face and be thankful?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts