Jacob 5:1-28


Jacob 5 . . . here we go!

First of all, here is the link to the manual that I have used mostly in my studying.  Jacob 5 starts on page 122.

The Allegory of the Olive Tree depicts the gathering, scattering and final gathering of Israel.
On the link above you'll find great resources including definitions of the symbolism, and the breakdown of each section. For a more indepth personal study of this chapter (which I highly recommend) please visit the link, as well as the other links that can be found on the 'Study Helps' page above.

Here, I will be posting just my personal thoughts.  There is so much more regarding the doctrine and other things that I have read and written in my scriptures and heart.

Our reading today is in two parts: Verses 3-14 describe the scattering of Israel, before the time of Christ.  Verses 15-28 describe the Time of Christ.

What touched me as I read these verses today was how much the Lord loves his Olive Tree- us.  He planned, worked, pruned and nourished- all so that He could save the tree.  He stated more than once, "It grievest me that I may lose this tree."

Someone asked me a couple weeks ago in Relief Society if God is disappointed when we make mistakes. I don't think so. Disappointment means that someone or something didn't meet our expectations. God knows exactly what to expect from us. There are no surprises.  But I do think He is sad, even unto grieving, for two reasons. 1. Sin causes us pain, and it hurts Him to see His children in pain. 2. He knows that sin separates us from Him, and that causes him great sadness.  He has devoted His entire work to bringing us back home, and to see that not all will make it must be sorrowing.

Saving Israel isn't a casual undertaking.  The Lord put his best servant (Joseph Smith) to work in the field.  Then, in verse 15, He says, "Let U go down..."  He worked in the vineyard with His own hands.
The Lord, our Savior, loves Israel- the blessed nation.  He loves us so much that He came down, in the flesh, to live among us, teach us, be an example to us, and ultimately sacrifice Himself for us.

As I read, I realize the tender love Heavenly Father and the Savior have for me. The work, the planning, the sorrow and the He experiences as He goes about His work and His glory is real.


Comments

  1. I recognize the parable is all about gathering Isreal and spiritual lessons. But I couldn't help but look out the window at a couple of our fruit trees and compare the literal meanings of grafting, nourishing and pruning. Somedays I feel like I should just cut them down and start completely over, other days I fuss and bother about how to help them produce more. There's a prompting I have been getting stronger and stronger, but it's the execution I am not sure how to handle and our tree's fruit production is all wrapped up in the middle of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts