3 Nephi 22

3 Nephi 22

This chapter, to me, has a very comforting tone.  A few times the Lord says, "It's gonna hurt, but just for a little bit. It's going to be okay." I know He is referring to the Last Days, the gospel, the gathering of Israel, and such, but I took a more personal approach this morning.  I took that message to heart in my own life.

Sometimes we have to struggle and we have to feel pain. It's the price of growth.

In those times it can be hard to feel happy about things. Sometimes we might feel abandoned, like God has forsaken us. Often times the question is asked "Why did God let this happen?"  There isn't a standard answer for every person and situation- we are all so different in our needs, choices and experiences.  But, for me, when there are times that I feel like I'm struggling, it's nice to know that God is aware. I understand that the struggle can be for my benefit, my good. And I know that He is still by my said saying, "It's gonna hurt, but just for a little bit. It's going to be okay."


I love verse 13: And aall thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the bpeace of thy children.


My Grandma Parker gave me a picture with this saying on it when I got married.  She said the best thing I can do for my kids is to teach them of the Lord.  And that's what I've tried to do. Even just yesterday I was having a conversation with my 14 year old daughter about testimony and having a balanced life. I told her I've got 5 more years with her before she goes away to college.  My job used to be taking care of her. Now my job is to teach her to live without me (for day-to-day living.)  That includes cooking, cleaning, working.  It also (and has always) included me doing my best to help her have a relationship with her Heavenly Father.

When she moves out of my home, I told her, I won't be there to remind her to pray, or to head up family prayer, scripture study, take her to church, etc.  She needs to take responsibility for her relationship with God and her Savior, because that is what is going to help her most through this life.

Fertile ground and seeds for such eternal relationships with Deity were the greatest gifts my parents gave me. Right behind that (if they can even be separated) was their love.

Beautiful chapter.

Comments

  1. With everything going on right now in the world and our country. It is comforting to read that the Lord is watching over us. I don't know what the next few months or years will bring, but I know that the time of Christ's return is getting closer and closer. It's scarey and exciting all in the same breath.

    I had to laugh a little at the reference to stretching your tent to make more room. That's pretty much how I feel at the moment. Expanding walls to gather more in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts