3 Nephi 21

3 Nephi 21

Easier read for me this morning :)

I love to read about prophecy that is being fulfilled in my day.

This country, a free land, has been established, allowing the freedom of religion, and the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, which are all signs that His time to return is coming. That is exciting!

Verse 6 specifically applies to us: that if we don't harden our hearts, that we repent and come unto him and be baptized and know the doctrine, we will be adopted into the House of Israel.

This verse is significant for a couple reasons:

1. It refers to the Abrahamic Covenant, the covenant that Jesus spoke of in verse 4. The Bible Dictionary gives a great and short explanation of what it is here.  Essential, after Abraham was baptized, received his endowments and was sealed to his wife, he was promised that all of his mortal posterity would be offered the same blessings.   Those who aren't born directly through his lineage are adopted into it when they are baptized.  Interestingly, baptism is called the "Covenant of Salvation."  We need it to enter into that strait and narrow gate. But, the ordinance of a temple marriage is the "Covenant of Exaltation"- we need that to be Exalted. In between and after is where we 'endure to the end,' or else all is for naught.

2. It not only says that we show know the doctrine, but the TRUE points of the doctrine.  There are many, even within the church, that do not understand even the basic principles of doctrine. They misinterpret them, and guide their lives by their own understanding. They invariably stray and live lives less effectively in the gospel.   Faith, obedience, sacrifice, service, duty, etc. They are all true points of doctrine that we must study, understand and live, in order to be numbered among His people.


It is interesting that throughout this chapter, Jesus is very clear about whose plan it was: His and our Father in Heaven's plan. Jesus plays a part- an intricate and necessary part- of that plan, but it is the Father's wisdom and plan. (vv 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 20, 27, 29)

Also of note: Verse 9, the Savior talks about the Restoration of the gospel., and that the Father will bring about the restoration for the sake of Jesus Christ. (His words were "for my sake")

Now, the restoration was for our sake, wasn't it? I mean, we benefit from it: from the truths taught, the ordinances offered, the revelation given? So, why did He say "for my sake."

I don't have any official talk or scripture to site- just my own opinion. So, here is my answer according to the Doctrine of Michelle ( DoM):

The Savior performed His Atonement nearly two thousand years ago. He suffered the pains and paid the price of the sins of EVERY person that ever has, does now, and ever will exist on this earth.

That is a HUGE HUGE HUGE sacrifice and undertaking. My 12-size font CANNOT express, nor can my little brain truly understand the magnitude and meaning of it all.

I know, on my own mortal level, that He did that for everyone.  BUT- it only counts when the individuals He atoned for acknowledge and accept the Atonement.

Meaning- those that don't believe in Him will never have that atoning price of their sins taken care of. They pay for their sins the rest of their lives- even through eternity if they continue to deny Him.  That means the suffering Christ went through in the Garden and on the cross for them was in vain.

Here's the key: The more people learn of the Savior, the more people accept and take advantage of the Atonement He has already performed and is actively offering to us.

Not to dumbify sacred gospel events, but to simplify I'd like to share a culinary analogy

Say I slave all day making batches and batches of brownies for those that I love who can't make them for themselves. I'm careful to make the best brownies. It's hard work. I mix, I stir, I bake, I burn myself, I cut them, and I place them each on individual platters with the name of each family member written on it. I do this because it's how I show my love for them, and I want to them to be happy. I invite them all to come.

Then I sit and wait all day, all night, all day for people to come and partake.

A few trickle in here and there.  Some come and look, and reject my brownies. Some even make fun of my brownies.

But, some come and taste my brownies, and understand my love for them and show their gratitude by doing things for me.

If I slave all day to make these brownies, and only three people show up (even though ALL have been invited), how am I going to feel?

Maybe some of my family didn't hear that I made them brownies. So, the ones that show up, I ask them, "Please, go tell brother and sister I what I did for them. Ask them to come here, so I can share."

Some go and spread the word.  But, some don't.  That makes me happy, and that makes me sad.

My only intent was to share my brownies with my ENTIRE family.

So, my dad sees what I've done, and sees the plates and plates of unclaimed brownies- the work that I have done that is just sitting there. He decides to send out an email, have a family meeting, and organize a phone tree- all to reach as many family members as possible. He did this so they could partake of my brownies.

BUT- he also did this for my sake. He knew how hard I had worked, and how many brownies I had already made (One giant one for each and every person.) He did not want the brownies to go to waste, but he also didn't want my efforts to be in vain.

He wanted everyone to be happy.

Because of His plan, organization, timing and efforts, more and more are able to come and take advantage of my sacrifice and efforts. They find joy in my brownies, and I find joy in offering them to them.

The sad fact is, however, that in the end, there will be some plates left over. In the end, all will have had a chance to come and see what I offered, but some will simply not want my brownies.

It's sad really.

I don't know who wouldn't want fudgy, chocolate brownies.

And I don't know who wouldn't want sweet Eternal Salvation.


Comments

  1. I love your culinary gospel principle analogy. I wish I was feeling up to adding something profound. But unfortunately I am in the middle of another either a trial or tribulation or whichever term applies....

    So for me, the promise that all lies and deceit would be done away with someday... this was a powerful promise for me today. On a multitude of levels!

    I was chatting with a friend the other day about how the gospel really sets you free instead of being confining. One of the topics was how it's always easier to just tell the truth instead of lying or misleading and then having to figure out how to cover that one, etc.

    If we are living gospel principles, life is so much easier. And... we get the brownies. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait- you have other friends besides me! jk :)

      Good friends and brownies are a must in this life- especially when you are taking on your fair (unfair) share of challenges!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments appropriate and in the spirit of education and upliftment.

Popular Posts